Thursday, March 27, 2008

Tis Late

Yeah, I'm up late tonight because I don't have to go to work tomorrow. It doesn't make any sense though, because I still have to get Cody up at the same time.

I actually had a topic to post about, but dog gone it if I can't remember what it is right now. It's been one of those kinds of days.

I taught most of karate tonight. Sensei was working with Brad in the back room, so I led the main class through basics and stances. Once we were done with that, we paired up to do various drills. There were 13 students in the class, so I was the one without a partner. Shortly after we started, sensei and Brad came back in, and I asked Brad if he wanted to do the drills with me. We started off doing three step kicks, then two step kicks, then one step kicks--which are exactly how they sound. One person kicks the other three times--any kicks--focusing on form and targets. Then the other person kicks three times. After several minutes, we do two kicks, then one kick.

After the kicking drills, we did some blocking drills. The last one we did was against a sucker punch--sometimes called a haymaker or roundhouse punch. The defense for that is to block the punch, then step behind the attacker and throw him. It's kind of hard to describe. Anyway, Brad was having trouble with this because he is used to doing it the TKD way. (He is a second degree black belt in Tae Kwan Do.) I asked him to show me how they did it in TKD, and he did. They put a lot more hip into it, so that he was actually throwing me over his hip. It was actually kind of fun.

Saturday is Black Belt day in Greenville. That means tomorrow will be spent charging batteries and making sure I have enough blank video tape. It's going to be fun. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Hey...I'm off today too, but still had to get up early!
Have a great 3 day weekend!

Bag Blog said...

"I actually had a topic to post about, but dog gone it if I can't remember what it is right now. It's been one of those kinds of days."

This is me every day!

Becky G said...

Robin, thanks. I'm sure it'll be fun!

Lou, me, too of late. I've been so scatterbrained. Maybe it's lack of sleep. Maybe it's the hormones that always accompany Auntie Flo on her monthly visit. Whatever it is, I just can't seem to concentrate.