Monday, December 19, 2005

I DID IT!!!

I did it! I mailed the LAST two boxes of Christmas gifts today. I think this is the first year I've ever gotten all the presents in the mail in time to get to their destinations before Christmas. Heh, one year I mailed my sister's family's gifts the following Easter!

I tried today to sketch some people, and it turned out rather pathetic. I decided that I definitely need more practice to draw people.

So I sketched out this wishing well instead. This one was kept to the 5 minute limit.
Perhaps some personal definitions are in order. These are my own ideas, and not necessarily dictionary definitons.

Sketch: A quickly rendered line drawing in which shading and details are kept to a minimum. Note the well sketch above.

Drawing: A detailed representation of something in which shading and values denote details and lines are seldom, if ever, seen. See Lily below:


Note: Lovely Lily is a drawing exercise in the book Drawing for Dummies, by Brenda Hoddinott. Although I drew this one, Brenda still ownes the copyright, so ya can't copy this.

The purpose of this blog is to practice my quick sketching skills. As you can see, I can draw pretty well, but it takes me a long time. I want to be able to do a decent representation quickly and accurately.

On to other topics...

Yesterday afternoon, I mentioned to Cody that I hadn't made ANY of our Christmas foods yet.

He said, "Make them during Christmas week."

"I have to work all this week."

"So make them during Christmas week."

"Honey, this is Christmas week."

"WHAT!?!?!? I have to go to school during Christmas week?! What kind of retarded school district is this?"

I did get some of our candy made this afternoon. I made a batch of chocolate fudge, and a batch of my Uncle Verne's World Famous Peanut Butter Fudge. Ok, so saying it is world famous may be stretching it a bit. BUT he did send me a couple of pounds for my birthday one year when I was still in Italy. I shared about half of it with my shipmates, so it is sorta world famous.

And I know you've all been anxiously waiting, so here is the recipe:

Peanut Butter Fudge

In a heavy sauce pan place:

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup corn syrup or cane syrup
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 4 tbsp butter or margarine.

Bring to boil over medium heat. Boil until it reaches the soft ball stage, about 235 on a candy thermometer.

Add 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1 tsp vanilla and beat until thick and creamy. Pour in to buttered 8 inch square pan.

When I make it, I always use a round foil pie pan, because that's the way Uncle always did it. That means to get square pieces, you have to eat the trimmings...

Cody and I went to see The Chronicles of Narnia yesterday at the movies. It was pretty good. Cody said he already can't wait until it comes out on DVD.

No comments: