Sunday, March 02, 2008

Memphis Zoo Pt I

Our plan to get an early start was delayed by a dense fog.

I hate driving in this stuff, so I decided we just weren't in that big of a hurry.

In the meantime, I whipped us up a rousing breakfast of biscuits and sausage gravy.

In time, the fog burned off revealing an absolutely glorious day beneath it. Clear, cloudless sky and perfect temperatures. Not too hot. Not too cold. A perfect day for spending out of doors. Even the drive up to Memphis was pleasant.

Once we got to the zoo, we naturally headed to our favorite place, the herpetarium.

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake--I've always found it ironic and amusing that his enclosure looks like a road.

Some kind of Asian Viper. Beautiful, but deadly.

Gaboon Viper--this species of snake has the longest fangs, up to 2 inches long. I've always wanted to knit a scarf in this pattern.

Southern Copperhead. I've seen plenty of these in the wild.

Water Moccasin. Also known as the Cottonmouth. I've seen these in the wild, too.

Pygmy Rattlesnake

Green Tree Python--they are different colors when they are born, but turn green as they mature.

Brazilian Rainbow Boa--I want one.

Appalachicola King Snake--this sub species of the Florida King snake was only discovered in 2003

Louisiana Pine Snake--one of, if not the rarest snake in North America. The Memphis Zoo is leading the conservation effort of these beautiful snakes.

Rita the Reticulated Python--she's 21+ feet long, and it takes 12 grown men to handle her.


Coming up next: Other reptiles and amphibians housed at the Memphis Zoo.

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Snakes! You are so funny, Becky.

Buck said...

Nice fog pics. Fog always makes things... even mundane things... look so mysterious. But it ain't NO fun to drive in. Good on ya for waiting to leave until it burnt off.

Inquiries said...

Great pictures!

Becky G said...

Why, Lou, whatever do you mean? ;)

Buck, so true. I love fog--when I don't have to get out in it. Same with rain and snow.

Inquiries, thanks.