Monday, March 03, 2008

Memphis Zoo Pt 2--More Reptiles

One of the Komodo Dragons. This is one of the smaller ones. It's only about 6 feet long.

Some kind of gecko. Not the Geico gecko, but it's cute nonetheless.

Colorado River Toad. Or frog. I don't remember.

Azure poison dart frog. I just love this color.

I'm not sure what this is. I think it may be a monitor, but what species, I don't remember.

There is a gecko on that branch. Really, there is!

An alligator snapping turtle. This one's name is Gumbo. He's about 5 feet long from nose to tail. He can take your hand off. Trust me on this.

I think this is a prehensile tailed skink. I need to take a notebook and write these names down. Cody says that's how he knows I'm getting old. My memory is going.

Another type of skink. This one, I think, is native to Australia.

An iguana. I know this one.

Some cute little turtles having their dinner.


Next time: warm fuzzy things.

4 comments:

Inquiries said...

We have alligator snapping turtles in our pond. Yuck! I have seen one that measures at least three feet across his shell. Aiiiiiieeeeeeee. Let's just we don't swim in the pond. Of course I wouldn't anyway.

Bag Blog said...

Normally, I avoid the reptile and snake exhibits at zoos, but I have to admit you have some great photos.

Buck said...

Great photos, Becky. I don't avoid the reptile house)s), but they're not my favorite places at the zoo, either. I'm more of a lion and tiger kinda guy.

I liked the USAF frog the best... ;-)

Becky G said...

Inquiries, why ever not? I learned to swim--what little swimming I can do--in a pond, with the alligators and gars and snapping turtles. It all adds to the experience.

Lou, thanks.

Buck, thank you to you, too. I love the reptile houses. They are my favorite places at the zoo. Lions and Tigers (and bears, oh my!) are coming soon!

Funny, I though USAF blue was weaker than that...