Wednesday, March 19, 2008

NFL Nicknames

Matthew J. Darnell, a blogger for Yahoo sports, writes on his blog we are at an all time low for nicknames in sports. That is one thing I've noticed these last couple of seasons--the lack of nicknames. I'd even mentally composed an entire blog post on the subject, but never got around to typing it out.

There just aren't as many nicknames in pro football as there used to be. Gone are the days of Bullet Bob Hayes, Mercury Morris, White Shoes Johnson, Hollywood Henderson, and The Dodger. Most nicknames today, as Mr. Darnell points out are simply adaptations of a player's name--A-Rod, LT, TO, and the like. In an attempt to reverse this trend, Mr. Darnell has started a series of posts in which he highlights or assigns one player nickname per team, in hopes that a few of them will catch on.

The first post in the series covered the AFC East, and was posted yesterday. Today's post covers the AFC South. Do drop by and read the original posts. Here, I will just list the nicknames and offer my opinion of a few of them.

AFC East:

Doo Doo Brown, Koolaid Maroney, Dusty Rhodes, Beast Mode Lynch.

AFC South:

Meathooks Johnson, Junkyard Jones-Drew, Mount Haynesworth, Sawed-Off Sanders

I gotta admit, some of them are pretty lame. I mean Doo Doo? Koolaid? Come on! Are you serious? Beast Mode? That one would have been better if he'd just left it at Beast, but by making it Beast Mode, it just sounds corny.

Incidentally, The Beast was the mental nickname I gave to Mt. Vesuvius when I was stationed in Naples. You could see the volcano from just about anywhere in the surrounding area, where it was not obscured by buildings. It always made me think of a beast, crouching silently over the city, waiting to spring. Thus, The Beast. But I digress....Cody says my mind is starting to wander. One of those Old Age things. And now I've gone and digressed from my digression. Back to my original subject: NFL Nicknames.

When the entire series is complete, I will let you know what my favorite NFL nickname is, and why I like it so much. (Current players, that is.)

8 comments:

Inquiries said...

Doo Doo Brown? That is quite unique.

Bag Blog said...

I think nick-names are a generational thing. My dad's generation was much bigger on n-n. To this day many of his buddies are still called by their n-n like Bullit Boyd, or Flossie, or Poochie, etc.

Opal said...

I like Meathooks. That sounds properly mean and vicious. :)

Buck said...

My usual hockey comment applies... and you will ignore it, as usual, too. Which all goes to show there's no accounting for taste (and that's a two-way street, to be SURE). ;-)

Nicknames are alive and well on the ice, but not as prevalent as they were in the past. Lou is on to something, methinks.

You were on quite the posting roll, eh? Good on ya, Becky!

Buck said...

As look would have it... later this same day I find this.

Serendipity.

Buck said...

{sigh} luck, obviously.

Becky G said...

Ashley, yep. That's not one I'd want to be saddled with.

Lou, I think you are right. Nicknames used to be much more prevalent.

Opal, I kind of liked that one, too, but some of the others are just lame.

Now, Buck, just because I'd rather watch paint dry than a hockey game doesn't mean I ignore your comments! I actually tried to watch a hockey game a few weeks back. The Detroit Red Wings and Dallas Stars. I think I lasted about 10 minutes before passing out.

A posting roll? Yes. This is about a weeks worth of posts in one day! It's really the first time I've had to sit down and get them typed up! And I'll tell you the state my mind is in tonight, I read your "As look would have it" and found nothing amiss with that statement!

Buck said...

Now, Buck, just because I'd rather watch paint dry than a hockey game doesn't mean I ignore your comments!

I was more on about the content of my hockey comments, rather than the comments themselves. I know you wouldn't ignore me... ;-)

And you fell asleep during a Dallas-Detroit game? There's just NO hope for ya, Girl!