Monday, March 03, 2008

For The Spinners Among You

This is an antique spinning wheel at the Memphis Zoo. It was made around 1900. Just behind it, you can see a loom. I'm not sure how old the loom is.

If you peer carefully through the uprights of the loom, you can just see parts of a more modern wheel up on a shelf. It's neat, but it's this antique that fascinates me.

I believe, and someone with more knowledge can correct me on this, that this type of wheel is called a great wheel. This type does not have a treadle. The wool or cotton is spun by spinning the wheel with one hand and drafting the fiber with the other.

To complete the experience, I present to you, sweaters on the hoof:



I do sometimes spin on a drop spindle, but to me it is slow and frustrating. Spinning with this spindolyn looks to be much faster and easier. I gotta get one!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That Spindolyn thing looks cool! I've never seen that before. And having priced out various hand spindles (I have a cheapy one, and would love to upgrade somehow), this is very reasonably priced. I might have to get one of those too!

Inquiries said...

Your sweaters on the hoof statement made me LOL.

Robin said...

WOW..I love seeing old looms & wheels!!
Thanks!
Or they could be sox on the hoof!

Becky G said...

Dani, I think I will order one next payday. I'll do a review of it when I get it.

Inquiries, thanks.

Robin, that's a lot of sox! That last one looks pregnant, don't you think?

Opal said...

Oh that wheel is *so* cool!