Thursday, March 20, 2008

Now I Know

You know, I'd always wondered how I'd react if something happened to one of my online friends. Those of you I've never met in person. Those of you I only know through your blogs or a message board.

Would I be upset? Would I cry for you? Would you seem real to me? Or would you be like one of those movie stars who, though saddened by their death, I wouldn't really miss them.

I just found out that one of my Ravelry buddies was killed in a car accident this morning.

I'm sitting here with that sick feeling in my stomach, my throat choking up, and tears in my eyes. Now I know. I'd never met Joel. I'd only communicated with him online. But his loss is leaving an emptiness inside me that I'd never expected.

Online friends, you are as real to me as anyone I've ever met face to face. You are as important to me as those I see in person every day. You are as special to me as anyone I've ever known. If anything happened to you, I'd be devastated. Take care of yourselves.

Please.

7 comments:

Inquiries said...

That is sad Becky. I have realized that I talk to my blogger friends more than I do some of my in person friends!

Robin said...

I'm so sorry, how heart-wrenching. BIG cyber-hug coming your way!

Buck said...

Sorry to hear this, Becky. Sadness knows no bounds.

Bag Blog said...

We love you too, Becky. Stay safe.

Becky G said...

Thanks, everyone. It was just such a shock. But then, losing someone so young always is.

Junk Diva said...

They will be in my prayers.

Opal said...

Oh no. I am so sorry, Becky. *hugs*