Sunday, September 21, 2008

What A Sunday!

The lowly Miami Dolphins stun the mighty New England Patriots 38-13 on the road , ending their 21 game regular season winning streak. Meanwhile, Indianapolis is shocked at home by the Jacksonville Jaguars with a last second field goal and fall to 2-1 for the first time in like a gajillion years. What's more, they have yet to win in their fancy new Lucas Oil Stadium, with their only win this season coming in Minnesota. The Cowboys and Packers kick off here in about 45 minutes. I don't think my heart can take much more of this--especially after the LSU game last night.

Football--ya gotta love it!

In the meantime, my brother finally got to go into my dad's house and it wasn't quite as bad as they'd originally thought, but it is still bad enough. They got about 3' of water in the house, but they will still have to pretty much gut it, taking out all the sheet rock and insulation and replacing it. Of course, any stuff they had that was below the water level will have to be thrown out.

It is really bad down there. There are dead animals everywhere. Fish that were killed by the salt water, others that were left stranded when the water receded, wild critters--bunnies, mink, nutria, otters. Alligators are moving, seeking fresh water. Many of them are starving and dying as well. The whole place stinks of bilge water and death. Cemeteries have been desecrated, the water floating the caskets right out of the ground. Homes have been damaged, others have been completely destroyed. Some people have lost everything. Everything.

Funny thing, I don't see all the media attention that New Orleans got after Katrina sideswiped that city. On CNN.com today, I found one brief mention of the storm. Yahoo.com news carried the same story. Nothing else. No stories about how incompetent FEMA is or how Bush "purposely" with held National Guard deployment. No endless video footage of the Coast Guard rescuing people. No videos of stranded victims without food or clean water. No celebrity concerts to raise money for the victims or the appeals for volunteers and donations. Where are they? Shortly after Katrina hit, a correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey show asked "What would the response be if this had happened in a predominantly white area?" I guess now we know.

On a brighter note, I visited my auntie this afternoon and finished this charity scarf I started back in August. In my defense, I hadn't worked on it since that one day.


The yarn is Mondial Sophia, and I really don't like it. The thick slubs make it really unpleasant to knit with. However, this was sent to me by Shelly of Scarves From The Heart to knit into charity scarves. I've got one more ball of this stuff, and I'm going to try to knock it out right quick.

Now, I gotta go get ready for the Cowboys game. That means putting on my jersey and cap, getting Demarcus and T.O. out to watch it with me, getting a knitting project ready, and throwing up.

Football--gotta love it!
.
.

4 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

I'm not sure the lack of response is so much a white area problem as it is the current administration not wanting it publicized that nothing has been fixed since the last time.

Among other things, apparently a largish section of the worst hit coastline at Galveston was declared a no-fly zone, making it difficult for news stations and papers to get ariel shots of the damage.

Becky G said...

I'm not sure the lack of response is so much a white area problem as it is the current administration not wanting it publicized that nothing has been fixed since the last time.

I disagree. As left leaning as the MSM is, they will take every opportunity to make the Bush administration look bad, even if they have to make it up (see: Dan Rather). If anything, it's more likely that, though not perfect, things are actually going much, much better than last time, and THAT'S what the MSM doesn't want you to hear.

I'd not heard of a no fly zone, and I've seen plenty of ariel shots on local websites (See KOGT.com), just not on the national media.

Bag Blog said...

I thought about you last night and got out my crocheting while watching the Cowboys.

Becky G said...

Awww, thanks Lou. Turns out, I didn't get much knitting done. The game was just too exciting.