Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Getcha Popcorn Ready!

For the better part of the 2007 football season, Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb repeatedly stated that the road to the Superbowl runs through Philadelphia. Lover of irony that I am, I felt a certain sense of justice when the 8-8 Eagles became the only team in the NFC East to fail to make the playoffs. I'm not quite sure what Mr. McNabb thinks has changed over the off season, but shortly after the 38-3 drubbing of the St Louis Rams, the same old trash talk began again. The road to the Superbowl runs through Philadelphia.

So the Eagles rolled into Texas Stadium Monday expecting to deliver another thorough thrashing. Memo to Mr. McNabb:

The Cowboys ain't the Rams, dude.

I couldn't watch the game, as none of the local stations carried it. I followed online until I had to go pick up Cody from band practice somewhere around the end of the first quarter. The Cowboys had a 14-6 lead when I left.

As soon as I got back, I rushed into the computer room to check the score and eek! The Eagles had pulled ahead 30-20. Not good, but when, just before halftime, Nick Folk booted a 51 yard field goal to bring the Cowboys to within 6 points, I began to have hope. After all, the Cowboys have always been a second half team. I wasn't too worried. I knew they would come out strong and put the game away. Still, it was already 9:30 and the second half was just starting. Since 5:00 AM waits for no Cowboy, I went on to bed.

And dreamed.

About the game.

Whoa. Deja vu.

I dreamed that Donovan McNabb had driven the Eagles down to within scoring range, but it was the final few seconds of the game, and it was 4th down. The Cowboys held a 4 point lead, so it was touchdown or nothing for the Eagles. McNabb took the snap, nobody was open. He rolled right and scrambled. He was forced out of bounds, but had he just barely clipped the corner of the end zone? I couldn't tell. I held my breath and waited for the official's signal...

And woke myself up in a fit of coughing. Hey, Allegra's good stuff, but even it can't keep up with haying.

I looked at the clock. 11:57. "That game ought to be over by now," I thought, but I just didn't want to get out of bed. I'll go look in the morning. I lay there for a few minutes, and

"I gotta know."

I ran down to the computer room and once my browser was open, clicked on the football button in my toolbar. (Why, yes, I do have a football button in my toolbar. Doesn't everybody?) It wasn't big, three inch letters, but it was there:

STUFFED

Cowboys Outlast Eagles In Wild, Wacky Game

Yes!

(Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

I know it's way too early in the season to say that the road to the Superbowl runs through Dallas. There's still a lot of ball to play. There is one thing, though, that I can say with the utmost confidence:

Fasten your seatbelts, folks. It's going to be one heck of a ride!


(Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

2 comments:

Opal said...

That game was AWESOME! :-D

And boy am I glad I live in Hawaii. I was able to watch it without losing any sleep. :)

Becky G said...

Opal, I didn't get to see the actual game, but just watching the highlight video was pretty awesome in itself!

Can't wait for the Packers. I'll be wearing the jersey. Maybe I'll sleep in it that night!