Tuesday, September 09, 2008

So Good Being Clean

I just stepped out of the shower, and it feels so good being clean and smelling fresh. You see, the powers that be at work decided it was costing the company too much money to run the air conditioner. Therefore, as of yesterday, all air conditioning on the shop floor has been turned off. Until further notice. But at least until the end of the year.

To add further injury to injury, the powers that be also decided that the ice machines should be turned off over the weekend. So we get to work yesterday morning, the plant reaches a temperature of 100' pretty quickly (the high was 102'), and we have no way to even get cool water to try to keep from dying of heat stroke.

Note that if you kept a dog in those conditions, you would be put in jail. But somehow, it's ok to do that to your employees. Doesn't make much sense.

Note also that the powers that be-- or should that be power that bes since there is only one of him--did NOT turn off the air conditioning to his own office. If it costs too much to run mine, it ought to cost too much to run yours as well.

I have spent the last two days sweating my butt off. (Oh if only that really worked!) Then of course, today was karate class. Sensei always believes in giving us a good workout, and since I had been out for so long, it was especially good for me. I am so out of shape!

So, after sweating all day at work, then going to class and sweating some more, I was finally able to come home, peel the clothes from my stinky body, and step into the shower. I'm all squeaky clean and sweet smelling.

It feels wonderful.

4 comments:

Knit and fall back in it said...

Oh dear Lord, I am sending cool thoughts your way.

Opal said...

Ugh! You need one of those cooling suits they have NFL players wear.

Unknown said...

That's terrible. Is your job a union-type job? If so, can't you complain to the union about the sweat-shop-like conditions as being inhumane?

Becky G said...

Amy, thanks.

Opal, I wish.

Dani, nope no union. But, heck, if OSHA won't do anything about it, I doubt a union could, either.