Saturday, September 13, 2008

Stormy Saturday

While my Saturday Sky looked like this

there were others who were not so fortunate on this day. This is what they had looming over them:

Hurricane Ike, as seen from the International Space Station.

Ike roared ashore around 2 AM this morning, leaving a trail of desolation in his wake. Downtown Houston looked as if a bomb had gone off.


Windows were blown out all over the city, and debris was scattered everywhere. Bits of people's homes, tossed like leaves on the wind.

I wouldn't mind helping these guys...not at all.

Bits of people's lives, scattered carelessly like toys littering a child's playroom.

Why yes, that is someone's sofa in the middle of the highway.

The awesome power of the storm showed no respect for the living or the dead.


While Ike may not have been the strongest storm in terms of wind speed, the sheer size of this monster--almost as big as Texas itself--made it a force to be reckoned with. Destruction is widespread, but so far, I've only heard of two deaths from the storm.

Most of that area experienced major flooding. My mother and brother went out to my aunt and uncle's house--who as I mentioned before came here--and got trapped by rising water. One of my cousin's in-laws went in with a boat and got them, but I don't know where he took them. I haven't heard specifically about any of my other family areas, but I'm sure they are ok. I would have heard if they weren't.

So I spent my day watching football and finishing a sock.

I watched the Tennessee and Notre Dame games. The Texas game is postponed because of the storm and the LSU game is not being broadcast again. Gonna go try to find it on ESPN360.com.

But before I go, here is a lovely parting shot of Cody in his band uniform:



Taken Friday night before the game against South Panola, which the Chargers lost 40-2. No big surprise there, as South Panola has won the state championship 5 years in a row, has a 50+ game winning streak, and is in the top 25 high school teams in the nation.

Well, yes, there was a surprise. Cody and I were predicting 72-0.

So the Chargers done good--so to speak.

.

3 comments:

Buck said...

I like Cody's hat!! So... "Civil War!" (I think)

Becky G said...

Thanks. I don't know if it's meant to be Civil War or not. Cody says the tuba players are the only ones who wear those kinds of hats. The rest of the band wears bucket hats, but the tubas would knock them off of their heads.

Opal said...

I was glued to the TV watching coverage on Ike. I just could not get over the sheer size of this storm. I'm so glad your family's safe.

Cody looks quite spiffy in his uniform!