Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Snoopy

I remember reading a Charlie Brown cartoon many years ago. My memory is a little fuzzy, but it went something like this. Snoopy had followed Charlie Brown to school, whereupon he was told that he was not allowed inside. He would have to wait in the playground for Charlie Brown to get out of school. The next panel shows Charlie Brown sitting at his desk. Through the window beside him, Snoopy is swinging on the swingset in the school playground. Final panel, Charlie Brown sighs and wonders aloud,

"Why can't I have a normal dog like every one else?"

I can relate.

We have a pear tree in the back yard. Rylea loves pears. I think they make her drunk. Or something.

She will go pick them up from under the tree and carry them around. It's really funny when she carries them by the stem, but I wasn't able to get a picture of it. She will toss them into the air and dance under them. She will shake them like a rag doll, and roll on them like a dead thing. She will snap at them, pounce on them, lay tenderly beside them, nuzzling them as gently as a lover .

Finally, she will nibble away at them until they are about half eaten, then go get another one and start the whole thing over again.



Sigh.

Why can't I have a normal dog like everyone else?

.

3 comments:

Robin said...

My friend Bill's dog loves pears too!! You're not alone...
(I'm still playing catch up on all my blog reading)

Bag Blog said...

My dogs did not eat our pears, but the coyotes liked them. Of course the Great Pyrenes kept them at bay.

I just do not keep up with football enough to know of any errors in the ad, but it looks like a fun contest.

Becky G said...

Robin, at least I'm not alone.

Lou, Rylea is the only one of our dogs that does eat them.

Buck, no, that is about the only thing RIGHT on that poster. What would be wrong would be if they were all hockey players. But I doubt that you could find 5 hockey players from Mississippi. Even Mississippians aren't THAT STUPID.