Thursday, September 25, 2008

When You Connect

We've all had them.

Those moments when you know without asking what someone is thinking. Those moments when just a glance tells you exactly what the other person is trying to communicate. Those moments when you connect with someone.

Tuesday night, sensei was doing some promotions. The rank test had been a couple of weeks ago, but some students had missed class due to work and other obligations. One such student is Mr. Lee.

Now, Mr. Lee has basically been my student almost from day one. I've worked with him on basics. I've worked with him on stances. I've taught him all of his first kata. I've spent hours going over the details and nuances of isshinryu with him.

Sensei called Mr. Lee to the front of the class, said his little speech

Through my senseis Bill Coppage, Larry Dreher, and the Isshinryu Karate Association, I promote you to sichi-kyu--yellow belt. Turn around and remove your obi.

Then sensei turned and looked at me, without saying a word, but I knew. Without a word in response, I dropped out of line, ran and got the yellow belt sensei had laid on the chair, brought it back and handed it to Mr. Lee. With the briefest of glances, my sensei communicated to me, and I understood him perfectly.

When you've worked, and sweat, and hurt, and bled with someone long enough...

you connect.

.

No comments: