Sunday, September 07, 2008

Week One

After hearing weeks, and even months of gloom and doom predictions for the Cowboys' season opener against Cleveland,

  • after hearing how difficult it is to win in The Dog Pound,
  • after hearing about how Cleveland is expected to be a playoff contender this year,
  • after hearing how tough this new Cleveland defense is supposed to be,
  • after hearing how challenging it would be to defeat the Cleveland Browns,

The Dallas Cowboys totally dominated them on their own turf, putting all our fears to rest.

First round draft pick, rookie Felix Jones scored a touchdown on his very first NFL carry.

(Photo by James Smith)
Later in the second half, when started Marion Barber went out with bruised ribs, Felix was very impressive filling in for him, not just running, but blocking, as well. I really liked what I saw out of this young man.

One of the things everyone had worried themselves silly was the injuries in the Cowboy's wide receiver corps. At one point during the week, they were down to two healthy receivers--T.O. and Patrick Crayton. Oh, you should have heard all the hand wringing and people threatening to jump from window ledges. I wasn't worried a bit. So long as Jason Witten is on that field, my head will rest easy on my pillow at night.

(Kevin Cox/Getty Images)
Turns out, my confidence was not misplaced, as Jason was the top receiver for the day, with 6 catches for 96 yards. And Tony Romo? Well he was simply


(Kevin Cox/Getty Images)
unstoppable. The offensive line simply shut down the much bragged about Cleveland defense, leaving Tony all day to make a throw. Heck, he could have taken a nap and still had time to throw. Even with a busted open chin, he continued to play with blood dripping down his uniform. He was in total command out there.

New England quarterback Tom Brady was not so lucky. He was injured in the first quarter of the Patriots game against Kansas City. Reports have it that he has a torn ACL and is out for the entire season. That is a tough break for the Patriots, as without Brady, nobody is giving them much of a chance.

On the knitting scene...

Since lace is a bit too complicated to work on while watching football, I opted to work on my Monkey socks instead.

After the Dallas game, I switched to the Colts game and also switched to my fallen leaves socks.


One more pattern repeat and I'll be ready to start the toe decreases. Good thing, too as I am not in love with this yarn. The cotton/bamboo blend makes it like knitting with rope. There is absolutely no give. No stretch. I'll be glad when these are done.

The Colts' game is not going well either. The underdog Chicago Bears are on the verge of an upset. The Colts just aren't playing well. It's so Un-Peytonlike...

One final note, starting Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman is one tough guy, but I think we finally found his weakness.

Hee hee

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both Dallas and the Eagles had great days. Should make for a fantastic game next week!

Best,
Ikigai

Knit and fall back in it said...

That Terrence Newman video is a funny one! I was laughing out loud.

Opal said...

That Newman video is a hoot! I gotta show it to my mother.

Wasn't our season opener magnificent? I hope Marion Barber is okay. I haven't checked his status today.

Buck said...

I'm with Newman... roller coasters just ain't "my thang." I have enough excitement in Real Life without artificial substitutes.

Becky G said...

Igikai, yes it should. I'm looking forward to it.

Amy, me too!

Opal, according to the website, he's got some bruised ribs, but nothing broken. He should be ready for the next game.

Buck, I'm not a roller coaster person either. Just one look at the Texas Cyclone in Houston put me off them for life, even though I have ridden some since then. I still don't seek them out.