Sunday, September 14, 2008

Finally Done

blocked and all.

I got up pretty early this morning. Rylea just doesn't seem to quite get the concept of "sleeping in." Since I was up, I decided to go ahead and pin Rona out on my bed to block it.



Here is a close up of the detail:


My aunt and uncle, the ones who are here, got word today that their house only got about a foot of water in it. They are very thankful for that. My dad's house, into which my mother and brother are moving, got about 5' of water in it. There is a gallery of photos here showing storm damage and flooding to my home town and the towns nearby. My aunt is 87 years old, had lived in Southeast Texas all her life, and she told me that she has never seen it this bad down there.

"When you live down there," she said this afternoon, "it's [meaning hurricanes] just a part of life. But I never though that it could get this bad."

Still, everyone is well and accounted for. Aunt and Uncle are here. Cousins Judy and Bill are in South Carolina with their son, but will be heading this way in the morning. Cousins Jimmy and Gina are ok, but have water in their house. Cousin Jeremy was trapped in an attic for a while, but was rescued and has been taken to a shelter in San Antonio. Mother and brother Scott were house sitting for aunt and uncle and had to be rescued with a boat. They are now back at their house--the one they are moving out of. Nobody has electricity. They are saying now that it will be two to three weeks before electricity is restored.

More storm coverage can be found here, but if you watch national news, all you'll hear about is Houston and Galveston.

.

10 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

That is one freakin' gorgeous shawl. Great job, Becky!

I'm glad to hear everyone in your family is okay. Crossing fingers that their property damage isn't too bad.

Perpetual Beginner said...

Oh, and I nominated you for a Brilliante award.

Bag Blog said...

I agree - the shawl is beautiful. I am glad your family is all well and safe.

Opal said...

While it was beautiful before, the shawl is stunning blocked!

I'm so glad your family's safe!

Buck said...

Still, everyone is well and accounted for.

Great good news, that. You can fix houses and clean up the mess when all is said and done. But making sure everyone is safe and sound in the aftermath is quite another story.

Slop -n- Goulash: Dinner of Champions! said...

Wow! That is beautiful. So delicate. Just gorgeous!

Becky G said...

Thanks, all.

Knit and fall back in it said...

I'm glad your family is all well after the storms.

Your shawl is amazing.

Unknown said...

Wow - all I can do is shake my hands wildly and gape in awe!!!!

Becky G said...

Thanks! It was a fun knit. I'm wanting to make another one.