Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Tuesday Karate

As expected, we had guests from the Greenville dojo in class last night. Mr. Eiffling was there. He is a 4th degree black belt and a phenomenal martial artist. He brought a shodan and a green belt with him. He'd hoped to have more, but that's all who could make it this time.

We started off doing a few basics to warm up, then we did some basic combinations from our fighting stance. After a quick break, we did a few kata. We had to take turns because there were so many of us there. We finished by doing some partner drills.

I have so much respect for Mr. Eiffling. He has an incredible amount of martial arts knowledge and is a truly humble person. He is very happily married, so no one needs to get any ideas about matchmaking. Uh.... sorry about that. Knee jerk reaction. Too many people here lately thinking I need to be fixed up.

Back to what I was saying. Phenomenal martial artist...truly humble...oh yes, that's where I was. He will share that knowledge down to the newest white belt (rank appropriate, of course) and has the knack of teaching/correcting without you ever feeling like you are being talked down to. It felt kind of awkward to me last night, though, because it seemed that every time I looked up, he was watching me.

I guess that's to be expected, since I am approaching my ni-dan. I only wish I could have done better kata. It's amazing how out of shape one can get in just three weeks.

2 comments:

somaserious said...

It amazes me as well how fast you can get out of shape. Really it's about a week of not doing anything, yet it takes at least 4-6 weeks to gain it all back! Easier to destroy than create, hmm? Sounds like Mr. Eiffling has a lot to give in regards to MA knowledge. It's so amazing to be in the presence of someone so gifted.

Karrie

Becky G said...

You are so right about the out of shape thing. It takes a lot longer to get it back than to lose it. As for Mr. E, he is amazing. I couldn't say enough about him. I have met some incredible martial artists in my journey, and he is right up there with the best of them.