Thursday, December 20, 2007

Is It Jessica's Fault?

Sarah asked me this in the comments to a previous post. I answered briefly there, but I really feel that this deserves more discussion, so I am making a whole post about it.

Can Tony's abysmal performance last Sunday and the Cowboys' loss be blamed on Jessica Simpson? This has been discussed and debated all over the web since that day that we'd all rather forget. Many people are blaming her for the loss. But is it really her fault?

Of course not. She wasn't out there on the field overthrowing receivers and fumbling the ball. That was all Tony. So, no, she cannot be blamed for the loss.

"Yes she can!" you may protest, "because she was a distraction!"

Maybe so, but even if she were a distraction, this is still not her fault. It is Tony's responsibility to be focused and concentrate on the task at hand, and if he fails to do so, it is all on him. If she did prove to be a distraction, he needs to step up and be man enough to either learn to focus, or to put her behind him. That's not her job. It's his. Besides, she can't be that much of a distraction anyway. She was at the Green Bay game, and Tony played pretty well then. She was at the New York Jets game, too, and he played pretty well then--so well that he didn't even need to play the last quarter. She was not at the Detroit game, and he played almost as abysmally as he did against Philly. So, no, the loss, even if she had proved to be a distraction, could not be her fault.

The bigger question one must ask is, what is she doing with him anyway? Yeah, yeah, he's sexy, charming and completely star struck by her, but what is she doing with him? Really?

If celebrity gossip is to be believed, her first husband was a sports nut, and she hated that about him. If celebrity gossip is to be believed, his love of sports was one of the factors leading to their divorce. Now she's hooking up with a professional athlete? What's up with that?

She's definitely not there for the football. I mean, she was wearing a pink jersey. No serious football fan would ever wear one of those stupid looking things. You wouldn't catch me dead in one. And if you try to put one on me after I'm dead, I'll come back from the grave and haunt you for all eternity until you exhume my body and remove it.

For most of the game, she was looking bored out of her skull. The only time she seemed to show some life was when she knew the cameras were on her. Boy, she smiled and shook her, uh, favors for the camera then. (They are too hers! She paid for them! She's got a receipt and everything!) When she didn't realize the cameras were on her, she looked like this:


So why is she with him? Could it be that he is the most popular young quarterback in the NFL? Could it be that an association with him would be a big boost to her own flagging image? This is not an "It's OK, honey, I'll still love you even if you lose" look. It's more of an, "You'd better get your act together, you idiot, because you're making me look bad!" look.

So, not only does she have cameras on her for half the game (I had to check the listings because for a minute I thought I was watching The Jessica Simpson Show instead of the Dallas Cowboys football game), now thanks to the speculation about the so called Jessica Jinx, her name is all over the internet. She has returned to the top ten searches on Yahoo.com, a place she's been absent from for quite a while. Suddenly, everyone is talking about her--maybe not favorably, but they are talking about her.

As Mickey Spagnola said, "What better way to get your name - and picture - out there in the public, and for free? She can't pay for this much free advertising."

Whatever her reasons, if she breaks that boy's heart, I know a few women who would gladly rearrange her face for her.

Squeaky says, "I'm on her!"

5 comments:

Buck said...

There's truth in that phrase "blissfully ignorant," emphasis on "blissfully." I had to google the lady in question to find out who she is.

I shouldn't have bothered, even though it came back to me that I had posted about an obnoxious ad for satellite teevee, which featured Simpson.

I duuno about you, Becky, but the fact Romo has a thing with her raises serious questions about his judgment... in my mind. A "one nighter" is one thing (yeah. I would.), a relationship quite another.

Opal said...

I'm with Buck. I'm questioning Tony's taste in women and I'm wondering why in the world he wants to be associated with such a bimbo. Now I don't really *know* her, but if she isn't such a bimbo, then why put herself out as one. Her endorsements are really enamored of lavishing her image with the stereotype of a dumb blonde.

I'm really angry about the Jessica Jinx. I don't want to think about her or see her face, but she's everywhere now and I think you're right about Tony being her publicity meal ticket.

I just want done with it and I want Tony's head back in the damn game!

Oh yes, I'd also like to get NFL Network in my neighborhood. *sigh*

Becky G said...

Yes, I do agree with both of you. His being with her shows a serious lapse in judgment as far as I am concerned.

I get the impression she is just using him, and he is completely starstruck. Hopefully, this won't last any longer than the Carrie thing did, and when he does settle down, it will be with some nice girl with some substance.

Like me, for instance.

Oh to be young and in love again...

Buck said...

Oh to be young and in love again...

I'd settle for 'in love'... This 'young' thing has waaay too many pitfalls. Just take a peek in my tee shirt drawer.

Becky G said...

While I agree that being young does have its pitfalls, it sure would make the karate workouts go down a bit smoother--and the mornings after as well.