Thursday, December 27, 2007

Success!

We left the house around 10:00 AM to go on the great guitar hunt. The first place we stopped was Batesville, which is the next town up the road. We drove all over that town looking for a music store, but didn't find one. We even looked at Wal-mart. I know they'd had some before Christmas, but they were all sold out. Yeah, I know, probably not the best quality, but good enough for him to start out on and see if that is something he really wants to do. He can always upgrade later on.

After not having any luck in Batesville, we headed farther North up the road. The plan was to head on up to Southaven, which is the next big town on that road. They have lots of shops there, so I figured we'd surely find something there. We never made it that far.

About 15-20 minutes outside of Batesville is a little town called Senatobia. I've never been there. Or if I have, it's been so long I don't even remember going there. On impulse, I whipped off the highway and said, "Let's look and see what they have here." Lo and behold, as soon as we hit the town, I spotted it. A sign with a guitar on it. A music store.

We went in and a really nice man helped us pick out a good beginner package for Cody. I also got him a book to learn from. When we were checking out, I asked if the package had picks in it. It didn't and the man let us pick out 4 picks and didn't even charge us for them. I asked him about warranty, and he said that any warranty would just cover the electronics part of it. Then he said, "But don't worry. If anything happens, just bring it back up here and I'll fix you up." Good, that.

We got it home, set it up, and everything worked. We got it tuned pretty closely and Cody plucked away at it for a little while.


Then he put his new guitar away and said, "Mama, I wish you would start playing your guitar again." Y'all didn't even know I had a guitar, did you? I do. It's an acoustic one, not electric. I'd always wanted to learn to play the guitar, so several years ago, I bought one. I was learning to play, but then Cody started kindergarten, and time just seemed to slip away from me. I hadn't touched it since.

At Cody's request, I got it back out, tuned it up, and did lesson one in my Learn To Play Guitar book.

Maybe this time, I'll stick with it.

The socks were a success, too. I finished them this morning before we left.

Here's a wild thought. I have three scarves and one pair of socks left OTN. Do you think I can finish all four projects before casting on anything new? I'm gonna try it.

6 comments:

Sus said...

Finish all projects before starting something new???? Are ye nuts?? You'll ruin it for *everyone*!!

LOL!!! Good luck with that -- if you can do it, you're a better woman than I. ;)

Good news about the guitar! And, yes, you should definitely pick yours up again! I've dabbled here and there for years on the guitar, but mine is currently in Missouri so I can't join you guys in learning.

Yay, finished socks! They look cool!

Opal said...

It's great that you found all you needed to Cody. I think it'd be even better if the two of you learned how to play together!

Finish all your projects before you start a new one? You're a better woman then I am if you succeed.

Your socks came out great! They really do remind me of watermelons. :)

Buck said...

Hmmm. Cody looks like he's ready to step into Stevie Ray Vaughn's shoes. With a lil practice, of course. ;-)

Becky G said...

Sorry, Sus, for ruining it for you! I don't know if I'll make it, but I sure will try.

Thanks, Opal. I think the green stripes look like watermelon vines meandering through the sock.

Buck, you may be more accurate than you know. After only one day, he is playing complete scales and simple tunes. I, on the other hand, am still struggling with the first three notes.

Bag Blog said...

Git the Guitar out! That is too cool. Hope your Christmas was wonderful.

Becky G said...

Lou,

Thank you. Christmas was good, if a bit lonely with all my family in Texas. Still, Cody and I had a nice, quiet day.

I've gotten the guitar out, and am plinking away at it. I need to get past the sore fingers stage now.