Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Pet Peeve

I would like to take time out from our regular blogging to rant about one of my biggest pet peeves. This is even bigger than the there, their, they're thing. What is it, you ask, that has gotten me so riled up? I'll tell you.

It is ending a declarative sentence with a question mark.

When I see this, I always want to ask if the author is making a statement or if he doesn't know what he thinks. A couple of examples:

I don't know who else ships besides Delta? I received an e-mail with this--whatever it is--a year or so ago. So, are you telling me you don't know who else ships besides Delta? If so, tell me, and end the sentence with a period. Or are you asking me if you don't know who else ships besides Delta? Then ask me, and write an interrogative sentence.

Maybe this will teach him not to do that? I saw this one on a message board. Are you telling me that you think this will teach him not to do that? Then tell me, and end the sentence with a period. Are you asking me if I think this will teach him not to do that? Then ask me, and write an interrogative sentence.

If you are going to make a statement, then write a declarative sentence. On the other hand, if you are going to ask a question, then you need to write an interrogative sentence. Putting a question mark at the end of a statement does not a question make.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled blogging.

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Those are great examples of your peeve and understandable peeves. Sometimes, I do it when It is a question, but it is also an exclamatory remark. The declarative is odd.

You have been tagged to do a Christmas Meme. Check out my blog.

Sus said...

Ah, grammar peeves. They're so much fun, aren't they? I'm right there with you.

My latest peave is another one regarding pronunciation. Etc. = Et cetera. Not Egg cedra. Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!