Saturday, December 22, 2007

Saturday


It started like this, and didn't get any better. I stayed in and finished Cody's scarf. Poor kid has been waiting over a year for this. It is finally done.

This has been kind of a blah day all around. I was preheating the oven to cook us some lunch, when my heating element burned out. I should be able to get a new one, no problem. There is a guy here in town that carries everything you can imagine. If he doesn't have it, he will get it. Problem is, he won't open back up until after Christmas.

Ack! "How in the world am I supposed to cook Christmas dinner?" I wailed, huddled in the corner quivering.

No problem. I'll just lug everything over to B and J's to cook it. Once I explained the problem, B offered to lend me her toaster oven. What good is that? Well, it's not a normal toaster oven. It's big enough to cook everything but the turkey. That's a relief. Now, I'll just have to lug the 20 lb turkey back and forth. J told us to just come spend the day at their house. (They won't be there. They are going to Texas, but we will be keeping an eye on their house.) Cody is all for that because they have satellite TV, but I'm going to put the nix on that. Christmas is a time for family, not TV.

The bright spot in my day occurred when I saw the first robin of the year out in the yard. I know in some places, robins herald the arrival of spring, but down here, they mean winter is here. And lo and behold, today is the first day of winter!

Since we generally don't get enough of the white stuff to take a decent picture, I borrowed this one.


Firs on snow-covered hill

Photo courtesy of Webshots.

Happy Winter and stay warm!




2 comments:

Opal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your oven! Thank goodness for that toaster oven.

If the Cowboys were playing on Christmas Day would you nix TV then? *grin*

Becky G said...

I actually did look to see if there were any ball games on. I might make an exception for those. But I happen to know that we are getting some DVDs for Christmas, and that's what we'll be watching. At home.

I have a thing about wanting to be at home for Christmas.