Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday Miscellany

Today was another one of those plant shutdown days. I did my weekly grocery shopping, along with some Christmas shopping, but spent most of the day knitting. Since I've been a bit blue these last few days (any my writing reflects it), I did the one thing that always cheers me up. I cast on another project:

The yarn is Trendsetter Tonalita, and the pattern is the Yarn Harlot's one row scarf.

I also worked on Cody's scarf quite a bit, which just happens to be the same pattern. I'm going to make these two scarves a priority until they are done. Cody's been waiting on his scarf for more than a year, so I really need to get it done.


I also need to finish a second Fetching. I did the first one of the pair in a day, and it has taken me a week to do the second one. It still isn't finished. All I have left to do is pick up and do the thumb. I just keep putting it off.

An interesting thing came in the mail today. I got a Preferred Subscriber offer for Essence Magazine. The accompanying letter stated in part:



Because you are the kind of active, successful woman we are designed to serve and inspire, we invite you to receive ESSENCE at the low Preferred Subscriber Rate of only $1 an issue.

ESSENCE is the only magazine written by black women for black women.


Um, I think somebody must not have gotten the memo.


Good news! Well, for me, at least. I found one of my very favorite Christmas movies on DVD at Walmart today, The House Without A Christmas Tree. I was 8 when this movie first came out, and I loved it. Several years ago, I managed to find it on VHS, but have anxiously awaited its DVD release. It finally happened. Woo Hoo!


Speaking of Christmas, Buck posted this over at his place, and it's so good I had to follow suit:









More good news. Last night, just before leaving for karate, there came a knock on my door. In came J, and he was bearing gifts. The place he works was giving their employees turkeys. Since they are going to Texas for Christmas, they had no need of a turkey, so he brought it to me. It's got to be a 20 lb bird. We'll be eating on that for a while!





4 comments:

Buck said...

Thanks for the link, Becky. And...free turkey? That's way-cool! Course if someone were to give me one, it would be a useless gesture. I can't recall ever having used my oven...the one in my current adobe, anyway. (Overshare? Maybe.)

Becky G said...

Awww, now Buck, I'm sure you could find somebody to cook that turkey for you!

Anonymous said...

it's DVD release???

Shame on you, after that A in grammar on the Dec. 15th post. ;-)

it's = it is
its = possessive pronoun

Too funny about the magazine.

Becky G said...

Hey, that was after this post, and I was paying attention then!