Thursday, May 31, 2007

Why I'm Always So Tired

Warning: If you are squeamish or subject to nightmares, you may want to skip to the end of this post. Because when I sleep, I dream. And when I dream, it's usually an adventure. Take last night for example.



I dreamed I was in the museum featured in the movie Night At The Museum. As the dream opened--or rather at the moment I became aware--I was hiding under the docent's desk in the lobby of the museum with the night guard--Ben Stiller's character in the movie. I was wanting to leave the museum, but a Tyrannosaurus rex was staring rather intently at us--fully fleshed out living Tyrannosaurus, not the skeleton that was featured in the movie. The night guard carefully removed the bone from the T rex's mouth (you would have had to see the movie, or at least the trailer to understand that one) and threw it. When the T rex ran to chase it, I was able to get out the front doors of the museum. It was, of course, broad daylight with people walking down the sidewalks.

Unbeknownst to me, a ghoul like creature had followed me out of the museum. A few yards down the sidewalk, he caught up to me. He was dressed in a black cape with a hood--much like a Nazgul (or the grim reaper if you aren't a LOTR fan). His face was that deathly grayish white and his breath was icy cold. What made him so frightening, though, is that where his eyes should have been were just two empty, cavernous, black holes with bits of red, decaying flesh all around them. He took my face in his cold, lifeless hands and tried to kiss me. He smelled of death. When I pulled away, he protested, saying that we belonged together, that we should unite our bodies and our spirits and become one with each other. Revolted and terrified, I turned and ran, and soon came to a large mall. I went inside and was trying to hide. I went from store to store, hiding in dressing rooms and in bathrooms (of one which looked remarkably like the bathroom in my elementary school), but I couldn't get away. The moment I stopped running, there he would be. Right there. I couldn't get away.

I finally went back to the museum, but as I was about to go inside, I saw the T. rex standing just inside the door looking intently out through the glass. I hesitated a moment, and good thing because the next person that walked in was grabbed and chomped by the T rex. I waited until he had grabbed someone else and snuck past him quickly while his mouth was occupied. I went into a large auditorium filled with people and tried to lose myself among the crowd. I could see the door of the museum from my seat, and the moment I sat down, in walked my ghoul stalker. I thought he wouldn't be able to find me in that large crowd of people, but he immediately turned and looked straight at me with those dead, empty eye sockets surrounded by ragged, red, decaying flesh.

That's when I woke up.

I'm sure I have good dreams. From time to time. I just don't ever remember them.



Now, back to pleasant stuff. My yarn came today. I can begin my big black soldier socks! Yeah, I overcompensated on the yarn yardage a bit, but I didn't want to run out and have to order more. Some of them soldiers are big fellas.



I'm still patiently unraveling my tangled blue sock yarn...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Methinks that perhaps you need to lay off the spicy Chinese food for a while or something, as I know that's what causes my hubby to have such dreams! (Me, I just have weird dreams no matter what I eat! LOL)

Becky G said...

I wish I ate spicy food that I could lay off of! But, unfortunately, I don't have that for an excuse. I just dream wierd.

Perpetual Beginner said...

Stop that, Becky. You're scaring me! My dreams are consistantly nightmare/adventure stuff, which rarely (never) end well, though sometimes they just end. Most of them would fall well into the nightmare range, except that they happen with such regularity that they don't really register that way any more. "Oh, I died three times last night. Nothing new."

I don't do it quite as much as I did when I was younger though. As a teenager it was every night. Now it's only a couple times a week.

Bag Blog said...

Your dreams are always interesting and a little disturbing.

Becky G said...

Cindy, when I was a child/teen, I had nightmares every single night. So much so that I developed chronic insomnia because I was so afraid to go to sleep. Now, I average about twice a week.

Lou, yes. I wholeheartedly agree.

Anonymous said...

When I pulled away, he protested, saying that we belonged together, that we should unite our bodies and our spirits and become one with each other.


Sounds like a bad pick-up line.