Sunday, May 13, 2007

When I Knew

--When I looked through my t-shirt drawer, and all I could find were karate related shirts.

--When my former supervisor walked by and shook his fist at me (as had been his custom for many years) and I shook my fist back at him (as had been my custom for many years), only this time the fist I made was an Isshinryu fist.

--When I realized I could no longer make a non-Isshinryu fist without concentrating on what I was doing.

--When I discovered that I no longer straightened my arms out completely because I'd heard "Don't lock your joints" so many times that it had become second nature.

--When I realized that I couldn't straighten my arms out completely because I'd heard "Don't lock your joints" for so long that I'd actually developed a mental block about doing so.

--When I tried to think of a single friend of mine who wasn't involved in karate, and couldn't.

--When I saw a character on a TV show lock her elbow and I yelled "Don't lock your joints! You're going to blow your elbow out!" at the TV.

--When I realized that I can't remember the last day that went by when karate wasn't in my thoughts at least once during the day.

--When I discovered that I'd rather be at the dojo than anywhere else.

That's when I knew.
*
*

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Becky!
Thanks for commenting on my blog and welcome to the insane world of Windsornot! Ironically enough, (maybe we mentioned this before?) I am a fledgling fiber artist as well. Or at least I'm a knitter. So much so that I was at the MD Sheep and Wool Festival last weekend! haha! Martial arts and knitting, who knew? But I can't think of two better hobbies to have, can you? And I can appreciate what you mean about getting into certain habits after a while with doing things like "don't lock your joints"! ;-)
Toodles!

Bag Blog said...

When I realized my closet was full of drawing pads...

When I noticed that my kitchen table was covered in paint and brushes...

When I slammed a piece of clay on a wheel and brought up a useful vessel...

I knew would rather spend my time with teenagers and young adults doing art projects than most anywhere else.

Perpetual Beginner said...

Oooh - MD Sheep & Wool. I am jealous. There must be something about karate and knitting, because there certainly seem to be lots of us.

There are some body habits that become so ingrained there's no getting rid of them. In the hour-long kick-boxing class, every kick and punch I throw is straight from Isshin-ryu - no matter how the instructor is doing them.

Buck said...

I didn't think about adding my own "When I knew," Lou! Great idea!

When I realized subscriptions to Cycle, Cycle World, Motorcyclist (all monthlies) and Cycle News (a weekly) just weren't enough...

When I doubled up SN1 and SN2 in one bedroom so I could have a room dedicated to rebuilding my racer over the winter (in base housing, Wakkanai, Japan)...

When I would spend six hours on a Friday night in a cramped pick-up with two other guys driving to a race... and six hours on Sunday night, with those same two guys, driving back...

And do it all over again the following weekend...

When TFMP would look at me as I went out the door, helmet in hand, on any given weeknight and say "Aren't you ever done practicing?"

When I got back on a bike ten years after the accident... and it was like I never left...

When I bought that new 'Zuki... (actually, I knew a long, long time before that!)

Anonymous said...

--When I tried to think of a single friend of mine who wasn't involved in karate, and couldn't.


Since I'm not involved in karate, does this mean we're not friends anymore?