Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Sketch



This is what I see as I morosely stare down at my sketchbook desperately trying to think of something to sketch.

I hate Joshua. (Ok not really, but still) It took me three months to learn Agena no Sai, and he had it down in 10 minutes. We spent the second half of class tonight supposedly learning something new. Josh wanted to learn a sai kata, so I taught him Agena. The little stinker had the whole thing down by the end of class. Meanwhile, I struggle to learn Kusanku sai. Which means I have to hate Barrett, too. He just started learning it today, and he knows it better than I do. But then, I only started learning it last week.

Last night at black belt class, we were doing some drills. Sensei wanted us to start in a relaxed position with our hands by our sides. I kept forgetting. I kept going back to my normal kamae position. Sensei would have to remind me, "Put your hands down." Finally, I quipped, "Sensei, you taught me too well." I couldn't help but see the smile of pride cross his face. I know sensei's wife. It's unlikely that he gets any such affirmations from her.

I'll be brief tonight. I stayed up far too late last night reading. (Night Light, by Terri Blackstock, if you're interested.)



Reading Reading Reading Reading



2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you teach something that was hard for you to learn, and your student learns faster than you did, it shows what a good teacher you are. Sometimes I think we teach better when it was difficult to learn.

Becky G said...

Agena wasn't difficult to learn. No, what was difficult was actually getting someone to teach it to me. After three months of begging, whining, and pleading for instruction, I found a video tape of it and learned it in about 15 minutes.