Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A New Dojo

Sensei told me tonight that he is looking at a new dojo. It is on the outskirts of town, but not too far out. Sensei said it is like 4 times as big as our current dojo. It will have separate dressing rooms and bathrooms. It has two rooms, both about twice as big as our current room, so he can have two classes going on at once. Sensei wants to put a boxing ring in it, and have fight nights. As far as driving goes, it is about the same distance from the house as our current dojo. He also said one of the most well known local dance teachers is coming out of retirement and will share the lease with us. Sensei said she actually approached him about leasing the building. It will be a good move for the karate school.

But in a way, I don't want to move. I didn't want to leave the first dojo either.

I still miss the that dojo. It was in sensei's garage. It is the one I started training in. It had no heat in the winter except for a small wood-burning heater. It didn't cast heat more than two feet away. When we took a break, we all huddled around the heater, trying to soak up what heat we could. Many a time during the winter, I left class unable to feel my feet because they were so cold. It had no air in the summer except for what breeze three big garage doors let in. My hair curled, no matter how much or how little I sweated. In July and August, I sweated a lot. It had no bathroom. Red wasps buzzed about our heads while we trained. They say adversity breeds character. I built a lot of character in that dojo. When sensei said he'd gotten a place in town, I didn't want to leave that dojo. It felt like home.

The new dojo--the one we are in now--felt awkward and strange. I didn't want to be there. I wanted to go back to the old dojo. Up until sensei sold his house and the garage, I secretly hoped he would move the school back into that dojo. But he didn't, and eventually I got used to the new dojo. Now sensei says we may be moving again. A new dojo will be a good opportunity for the karate club. I'm excited about the prospects...

But this dojo is the one I got my black belt in. It feels like home.

I don't want to leave.

*
*

No comments: