Sunday, May 20, 2007

I've Had It

I have had it with State Farm. I've used their insurance ever since I've been here--for my automobiles and my homes. I've never been outstandingly pleased with their service, but I figured they were as good as anyone else. Not so any more.

Several weeks ago, I received a letter stating that State Farm will no longer write new homeowner's insurance policies in Mississippi. Apparently, we're a bad risk. They have to actually pay out when things like hurricanes and tornadoes come through. So they just won't insure us any more.

So when I bought the new home, I got insurance for it from somewhere else. Last month, the policy premium on my old home came due. You know, the one I no longer occupy. I requested to cancel the policy because I don't live there any more, and will soon be selling the house (why I haven't is a whole nother blog post). They haven't insured it against structural damage for years anyway. They said it's too old. But I still had a renter's policy that covered my stuff. When I requested to cancel that policy, the agent--rather the agent's secretary--said, "What about your contents?"

Well, DUHHHHH. I've moved them to my new house.

Anyway, there's no sense in paying for a policy on an empty house, so I cancelled it. This week, I received a letter from them stating that since they will not insure my new house, they are increasing the premium on my automobile insurance.

Ok what is really said is that my premium increased because my multiple insurance line discount was removed. Either way, it's time to start looking for a new insurance company.
*
*

3 comments:

Sus said...

Isn't it a racket? I was in the insurance business for about 12 seconds and ran away screaming. Btw, I have always had very good luck with Geico car insurance.

Becky G said...

I've already gotten a quote from Geico. It is for full coverage, though, and as soon as Jimmy is paid off (in October) I'm dropping down to liability. I'm going to check out a few other companies, too.

frotoe said...

Home owners insurance is ridiculous now. I live on the coast and we had to change our insurance company because no one will cover houses this close to the water anymore. Too much risk of hurricaine damage. Um...isn't that what insurance is for??? Its terrible.