Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Men

Millions of them have lived and died. Each one unique. Each one with his own personality. With his own individuality. Each one with his own hopes and dreams, his own passions. His own aspirations. No two ever exactly alike. Yet in some ways, they are all alike.

Cody, Brian, and I were sitting at the table in the dojo during our water break. My sinuses were really acting up. "I feel like my head is about to explode," I said. "Wouldn't that be interesting?"

"If my head did explode, you'd have to clean it up," I teased Cody.

"No, I wouldn't," he replied.

"Yes, you would. You're my next of kin."

"Nobody would know that. I'd just tell them I don't know that woman."

"All they would have to do is look at you. 'He looks just like her. He's got to be kin', they'd say"

"Hah!" Cody scoffed "I don't look anything like you."

Up until this point, Brian had been sitting there silently listening, and being amused, by our banter. When Cody said that, though, Brian made the most indescribable sound. It sort of sounded like a "naaaw" combined with an "uh-hunh" combined with a "heh-heh-heh" laugh. I'm sure if you've ever spent time around a man, you've heard something like it.

About that time, Blake wandered up. "The silent one speaks," he quipped.

"He didn't really speak," I said. "He just sort of made a sound." Then I told him what Cody had said about us not looking alike. Blake looked at me. Blake looked at Cody. Blake chuckled a bit--then,

Blake made the exact same sound!

Yeah, it was his own vocal timber and inflection, but it was still the same sound. See, in some ways they are all alike.


And y'all thought I was going to talk about the toilet seat thing, didn't ya?

4 comments:

Sus said...

LOL! That's hilarious!

Bag Blog said...

Ah, the toilet seat thing...lets not go there. Men are very much the same. My grandmother had a saying: "Just pick a man and live with him. They are all the same." While not completely true,it is very close.

Buck said...

And y'all thought I was going to talk about the toilet seat thing

Don't go there!

;-)

Buck said...

Hey Becky...FWIW... This is a perfect illustration of why I don't like comment moderation. Lou and I said sorta the same thing, less than an hour apart. But I didn't know she'd written what she wrote, and thus couldn't riff on it or otherwise expand the thread. And it could have/might have taken off.

My point: I think comment moderation stifles conversation, especially when folks drop comments during the day and you can't moderate them until you get home from work.

Just sayin'...but it's YOUR blog.

;-)