Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Getting Ahead

It was the one bright spot in an otherwise depressing day. I got a head in the mail. Kristen, who is always surprising me with things, sent a styrofoam wig head to me so that Mr. Frosty will no longer have to endure the indignity of having hats blocked over his butt. Thank you, Kristen.

Mr. Frosty thanks you, too.


I must confess, however, that taking the head out of the box did creep me out just a wee bit. 


Those sightless, staring eyes.  The stories from high school about the cosmotology classroom heads coming to life at night...

I think I will name her Georgette. And here she is modeling Kristine's hat, which I still haven't gotten mailed.


Sorry, Kristine. Thursday, I promise. I think. I don't know. The Post Office.  *shudder* What we do for our friends.

I do know one thing, though. Georgette will not be in the bedroom with me. Ever. Sheesh, like I don't have nightmares enough.

Speaking of, last night was a once in a hundred billion years event. OK, so It's really only once in every 6oo something years, but still.

The event was a total lunar eclipse on the night of the winter solstice.  I missed it.  I wanted to watch, but the sky was completely clouded over.  Overcast, I think that's called.  So, I didn't get to see the eclipse.

I was there for the total inculcation of the world with evil in its purest form.

At least, I was there in my dreams.  Now, if you've read my blog for any length of time, you know that nightmares are par for the course around here, but this one was so intense, so terrifying that as I startled awake, the first thing that popped into my head was

  I really need a black man in the bed with me.

A big, strong, kind of scary looking black man in the bed with me.



I lay there for a moment, wondering why there was no black man in the bed with me.  What had happened to him?  Where had he gone?  Wait, there never was a black man in the bed with me in the first place...

As my head began to clear, I thought about getting up and going to get the dog.  But as I was still too scared to leave the protection of my covers --they're an impenetrable fortress, you know-- Rylea stayed where she was.  Since Jay Ratliff was unavailable (and I'm not so sure Mrs. Ratliff would have been on board with the whole idea in the first place), I settled for the comforting embrace of my old buddy Felix.


Even so, it was hours before I was able to get back to sleep, and it seemed only moments until the alarm went off.  The day just went downhill from there...

Is it any wonder I'm ready for this day to be over?

.

5 comments:

StephieKnits said...

My mom brought me a styrofoam head yesterday when we got together for lunch and shopping. It does sorta freaky me out so for now it is in the crafty closet.

Kristen said...

I was wondering when you were going to get the head! Silly me, for not keeping up with your blog.

Georgette does look scary coming out of the box. But imagine me wrapping her in that oversize plastic bag! I felt like I was suffocating her.

She's a teensy small. I asked my friend Beth if she had any mannequin heads, as she collects mannequin parts. Her husband said she had two, but when Beth saw his comment on her FB wall, well, you know, it wasn't pretty what she said she'd do to Michael if one of her heads went missing...

Becky G said...

She is a bit small, but I think she'll do. Oh, and she has stoutly declared that her name is to be Charlotte, not Georgette. She is now sporting my Santa hat, which I forgot to wear to work this week.

Sus said...

Love the head! I need to get me one of those! They make me think of my grandma, who had a couple of wigs.

Becky G said...

I think every woman I knew wore wigs at one point. They were kind of the rage back in the 70s. Even my mother had a couple.