Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dull Saturday

The first Saturday without college football always leaves me feeling bored and restless. I don't know what to do with myself. Oh, there were a few minor bowl games being played, but none of them were on any channels I get.

It's so hard to believe football season is over already. Even pro football only has three more games left, counting this week's games. Then the playoffs, the Super Bowl, and the Pro Bowl. Then we start counting down the days until next season.

So what did I do to fill up the endless hours of a football-less Saturday? Well, for one thing, I didn't go shopping. Oh, I thought about it, but there's really nothing I need that can't wait until after the last minute Christmas shopping frenzy.

What I did do is knit. I got to the end of the first ball of Gingerbread House yarn.


From what I see here, I'm not going to have enough to make a hat and get the scarf as long as I like them to be. No matter. I'm always ordering from Knit Picks. I'll get some more soon.

And my friend Tabitha has invited me to test knit a new pattern she's designed.  But when I went to the closet to get the yarn I planned on using, I discovered that it was sport weight, not the fingering weight I'd thought it was, and the pattern calls for.  I didn't have enough of any one color to do the whole thing, so following Tabitha's suggestion, I am making it a two color shawl/wrap.

These are the only two yarns that I had enough of to do the project.  


They are the now discontinued Knit Picks Essential in Coral and Ash.  They don't look bad together, I don't think.  I'm thinking I'm going to use the coral for each end, and the ash in the middle.  I've already got a fair start.


And so far, no errors in the chart.

In between all this knitting, I made peanut butter fudge,


and chocolate fudge.


I also made the Turkish Delight, which is chilling in the refrigerator overnight before I cut it up and sugar it tomorrow.  I'll be taking the fudges in to work Monday, along with the few cookies that are left.  So far, there have been no invitations to any Christmas events, so the people at work are going to make out like bandits this year. 

When Rod came over to my line Thursday and got his 47th cookie of the week, he said, "Don't y'all be laughing at me when my stomach is dragging the floor." 

Santa's Cookies

2 comments:

Sus said...

I think it's nice to see test samples of patterns worked in different weights, so I hope Tabitha appreciates the variety! Looks good so far!

Becky G said...

Me, too, except that now I'm starting to worry that I won't have enough yarn to finish!