Monday, December 06, 2010

Monday Miscellany

I'd only been at work about an hour this morning, when the gas went out.  The brazing gas, that is, and it was down across the whole plant.  Nobody could braze.  We wondered if they were going to send us home, but they didn't.  After about 45 minutes, they got the gas fixed, and we all went back to work. 

Then an hour later, the packaging machine went down.  That time, I guess they decided to cut their losses, so they just sent everyone home.  I asked Greg if Vanessa and I could stay for a little while to get ahead.  He said I'd have to ask the shift supervisor, so I went and asked Walter.  He said it was OK, but then came back around about 10 minutes later and said we'd have to leave.  He apologized to us, but that decision had come down from above him. 

I left work and went straight to the post office and got my sister's family's Christmas gifts mailed.  Then I had to go back to Wal-mart because when I was pouring the milk over my cereal this morning, I realized I was almost out.  But this time, I walked really fast through the store, and managed to make it out without any cookies following me home.  

I got home and logged on to my laptop, only to discover that Dandy Don Meridith had died during the night.  From what I've read, he had been very sick these last few months--so much so that his wife had been telling his friends that they needed to come say goodbye.  It's a sad, sad day for football fans everywhere.  Not only did he help the Cowboys become the Cowboys, he made Monday Night Football into a nationwide phenomenon.  He will be missed. 



 Anyway, while I was at work, I'd gone over and talked to Bren for a minute.  I asked her how things were going, and she just rolled her eyes at me.  We both knew what she meant.  She asked me how I liked it over on line 2, and I said that I hadn't wanted to leave line 1.   I'd liked where I was.  I got along with Rod, I liked my co-workers (most of them), and had built my little nest over there, when I was --and here Bren interjected that I'd been uprooted again. 

I said that from what I'd heard, Rod didn't want me moved.  The other brazer is the one who was supposed to be moved.  Rod had wanted to get rid of her, but Greg refused to have her on his line.  I'd been complaining about her for a long time, and Rod wanted to move her, but nobody would take her.  What's worse, from what I hear, the one they moved over there to replace me is just as bad as she is.  I told Bren that Rod is the one I feel sorry for because he gets stuck with all the rejects.  I named several people on his line that nobody else wants, and I said, "All they need to do is move (and I named a couple more people) over there and watch his line completely fall apart."

Bren said, "You're wrong for that."

And I said, "I know, and I ought to be ashamed of myself."

And Bren said, "But you speak the truth." 

I do miss being on line 1, and I hope maybe I can get moved back over there soon.  Poor Rod needs someone with some sense on his line. 

I didn't do much this afternoon after I got home.  I got my checkbook caught up with and reconciled, then I walked the dogs.  I was just going to walk Rylea, but just as we were leaving, they let Jake out.  I didn't want to go back into the house to get his leash, so I just looped Rylea's leash through Jake's collar and tied a double half hitch, and off we went.  They were both pretty hyper because I was sick all last week and couldn't walk them. 

BTW, Dez Bryant has a broken fibula and torn ligaments.  It got me to thinking about the time I might have broken my leg.  I don't know for sure, because I didn't go to sick call, but I'll save that for another post. 

I've bored you enough for one day. 

1 comment:

Dale said...

A sad day for sure for football fans but especially Cowboy fans. He had an unbelieveable arm and when the Cowboys finally got him a receiver that could out run everybody (Bob Hayes), Don Meredith introduced the NFL to the bomb! I loved to watch him play and I loved hearing him on MNF!! R.I.P. "Dandy" Don and say hello to Coach Landry for us!