Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Ten On Tuesday

Today was our town's annual Christmas parade.  This year, however, I'll spare you my annual rant.  If you really want to know what I think, you can read my previous rant.  My opinion hasn't changed much since then.  This year, they started the parade at 3:30.  I had to go straight from work to the parade route, and I know a lot of people missed it.  You know, like people who have to work.  Anyway, that's why there were no photos.  I didn't even have time to run home and get my camera.  Or my jacket.  Yes, I froze.  But you can see the band videos at the provided link.  They always play the same songs every year.

This week's Ten On Tuesday topic is one that is near and dear to my heart.  And what is said topic, you may ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  This week's topic is  --drumroll please--

What are your top 10 Christmas shows?

Yes, I love Christmas.  And I love Christmas movies.  And I'm wondering about now how I am going to limit it to 10.  But I'll give her a go.

10.  The Best Christmas Pageant Ever  --Hey!  Unto you a child is born!

9.  Santa Claus Is Coming To Town/Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer-- Yes, the stop motion animation is out dated, and maybe they could computer animate those shows a whole lot better, but the kitch is part of the charm.  I never miss these.  (I know these are two shows, but I had to cheat to get them both into my list.)

8.  How The Grinch Stole Christmas--  Maybe Christmas, perhaps, doesn't come from a store.  Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.

7.  The Nativity Story--  A lot of the details are fictionalized, but it doesn't directly contradict anything that is in the Bible. 

6.  The House Without A Christmas Tree -- a TV classic from my childhood.  I was sooo thrilled when they finally released it on video a few years ago.

5.  It's A Wonderful Life-- A true classic, no words are necessary.

4. The Muppet Christmas Carol-- Yes, I love the muppets.  I took a lot of flack for it in high school, but I love them still.  I love this version because they bring in Gonzo to play Charles Dickens, so we get to hear some of that wonderful prose from the book.

3.  The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey -- A fairly new movie, it became one of my favorites the first time I watched it. 

2.  A Christmas Carol-- There are so many good ones, but my favorite is the Patrick Stewart version.  Patrick Stewart is simply brilliant as Scrooge, and this movie explores some of the parts the others leave out.

1.  A Charlie Brown Christmas-- That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

OK, yeah.  That was hard.  There are soooo many other shows I could have listed here.  The Homecoming, Frosty the Snowman, Miracle on 34th Street-- I could go on and on.  But I think these are the ones I would want on that desert island with me. Feel free to share your own list in the comments.

Now, I think I'll go watch the Grinch before bedtime.

One last note, apropos of nothing... Rod was kind of dressed up today.  Not really dressy-- it is a factory after all-- but nice. He looked good.  When I first saw him this morning, I sort of did a double take and an involuntary "Wow" escaped my lips.  I didn't know he had it in him.

2 comments:

Dale said...

Jacksonville has their Christmas Parade the first Saturday in December usually at 1 p.m. We haven't made the parade in years since we no longer have children in the band.

My favorite Christmas shows are:
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. White Christmas
3. A Christmas Carol- the original black and white or the one with George C. Scott

Becky G said...

This is the first town I've ever lived in that didn't have their parade on a Saturday, and I rant about that every year. Cody has one more year marching in the high school band, then I probably won't go any more either.

Good list. Those are all good movies. I love the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol, too.