Thursday, January 29, 2009

Surprise Project

It appears that the surprise has been let slip, so I guess I can show you what the project is.

You know that guy Machosauce? He's the one who makes those cool videos, like this one:



Well, a bunch of us ladies on Ravelry are so totally enamored of Mr. Machosauce, we are making him a sock yarn blankie. We are each making a couple of squares, then a couple of ladies--braver than me--will sew them all together and send it to him and his wife. Yes, he knows it's coming. That's why I can tell you.

Here are my two squares:




It has been a good experience for me. I, the one who seeks out the most complicated lace pattern available, have always been intimidated by the ubiquitous mitered square. Once I had motivation to sit down and do one, I found that they were so easy, I swatched for my own blankie.

Mine is going to be made up of three inch squares, rather than the 6" squares we did for Zo. It's going to take a while, since I don't have that much left over sock yarn. It doesn't take much to make a square, but still, I don't have very much, nor very much variety. I'll have to work on it over time, as I accumulate more sock yarns.

Unless I can find some friends who want to send me all their little scraps of sock yarn.

Ha ha...

5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I always liked crocheting Granny Squares, but I never get them sewed together.

Dale said...

Becky you have an amazing talent! We have one of our Social Workers here that is doing quilts for a few of our returning warriors. She presented the first one yesterday to a 23 year old veteran that had just gotten back. She said that she is going to keep going and present them to veterans as she gets them completed. I think it is neat that you guys are doing this for someone else.

Anonymous said...

Zo is the best: he says what the rest of us are already thinking, or what needs to hear. In a fair world, HE would have been the First Black President.

BTW that's a wonderful gesture on the part of you ladies towards anyone who chooses to make themselves a target of the hostile Liberals.

mornin'lady said...

The squares are nicely done. I don't even understand a wash rag pattern( I miss my knit savvy sister!!)I've been sticking to scarves for now. Maybe I'll just crochet the wash rags.

Becky G said...

Lou, I'm with you. That's why I didn't volunteer to sew all these squares together!

Dale, thanks.

Patch, I respectfully disagree. In a fair world, Alan Keyes would have been the first black president some 12 years or so ago. But, he's a Republican Conservative who got where he is through hard work and not government handouts, so the blacks don't want him. Gosh, that means they would have to work hard to succeed.

Dawn, thank you. I posted on your blog about the washrags. I hope I was able to be of some help.