Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A Quickie

I'm really sleepy tonight, so this'll be a quick one. I did want to show you the dishcloth I knit Sunday while watching the playoffs.

Once I'd finished it, I couldn't even find where the knot was, even though I made note of it when I knit it. So, into the gift drawer it went. The pattern is Pumpkin Dishcloth from Knitwits Heaven. The yarn is Peaches and Creme cotton, colorway sunburst.

And here is the progress I've made on my Longhorn Socks.


The pattern doesn't show up well in this picture, but right now I'm too tired to go take another. And just why am I so tired? Well, I stayed up until nearly 11:00 last night watching the Fiesta Bowl between University of Texas and Ohio State University. And what a game it turned out to be!

Everyone expected a high scoring offensive game, but it ended up being the defenses of both teams that dominated. The scores stayed low--and close. I don't think either team led by more than 4 points at any time during the game. When Ohio State scored their go ahead touchdown with 2:05 left in the game, it was already well after 10:30. Since 5:00 AM waits for no Longhorn, I said, "Well, that's the ball game," and turned off the TV and went to bed.

I should have known better.

A tiny part of me believed that Colt McCoy would be able to score that last minute touchdown, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. Imagine my joy when I got up this morning to find that it was true! (I'll tell you what, that Romo guy had better watch out. He's just about to get knocked out of the top tier of my personal pantheon again.)

Both teams went into the game with something to prove. Ohio State wanted to prove that they really could win the big game--having lost the National Championship game two years in a row. Texas wanted to prove that they really did deserve consideration for a national championship, but they probably won't get it. They'd won over a tough team that played them a tough game, but it's unlikely to impress those who vote for the rankings, because they didn't win "prettily" enough. The way the BCS is done is turning our college athletes into unsportsmanlike, beauty pageant contestants. Ah, but that's a topic for another post--preferably written when I've had more sleep, which won't happen anytime soon if I don't get off of here.

Listening to: Gift of the Magi, by O. Henry. A perennial Christmas favorite, be sure to keep listening after the story is finished. There is an absolutely beautiful piano rendition of Deck The Halls.

2 comments:

Opal said...

i love the pumpkin dishcloth!

as for the BCS Bowls selection method? eh. don't get me started.

Tammy said...

I can't wait to see your socks! My SIL wore the Longhorn socks I knit for her to the game last night. They must've been carrying just enough luck to take McCoy on that final drive. He was pretty unbelievable... determination at it's best.