Thursday, February 07, 2008

Oh, My Goodness!

You've got to be kidding me.

Mississippi is now introducing a bill into the state legislature that would ban fat people from eating at restaurants. Technically, the law would ban restaurants from serving anyone that could be considered obese. This is the nanny state taken entirely too far! Fat people don't get fat from eating at restaurants. They get fat from eating too much, no matter where they eat it. Restaurants don't drag people in off the street and shove food down their gullets. People choose what they eat, and where, and how much. True, Mississippi is the fattest state in the nation, but it all boils down to personal responsibility. People choose to overeat. They can also choose not to.

Be sure and read the comments. I was astonished at how many people actually think this is a good idea. Astonished, I tell you.

On a brighter note, Sus awarded me with this:



Give the award to 10 people whose blogs bring you happiness and inspiration and make you feel happy about blogland. Let them know by posting a comment on their blog so they can pass it on. Beware you may get the award several times.

I'm passing it on to:

1. Opal My knitting buddy from the Aloha State.
2. Carol Carol always has the most interesting stories to tell about her adorable grandson.
3. Robin My fellow Cowboys fan. Need I say more?
4. Tabitha We share a birthday, and have connected on many other levels as well.
5. Dani Knitting friend and fellow martial artist, Dani always seems to know just what to say when I need advice.
6. Lou An artist, mother and grandmother, her stories of her daughter and grandbabies always bring a bright spot to my day.
7. Cindy I met you first online, then in person. I'm glad I did both.
8. frotoe Another one of my fibery martial artist friends.
9. Buck I know this isn't really a guy thing to do, but I found Buck's blog purely by chance, by clicking the Next Blog button on my toolbar. I'm so glad I did.
10. and finally, back to Sus, who I think must be my long lost twin sister. We have so much in common we've got to have some shared genes somewhere.

I know some of you have already gotten this award, so don't feel you have to do the meme again. Frankly, it was hard to choose. There are a lot of blogs I like, and enjoy reading that I could have nominated. The ones here, the reason I listed you is because you're not just an interesting author, somewhere out there. You have touched me, and I am honored to call you my friends.

8 comments:

Sus said...

Aw, thanks, "Sis"! I'm so glad we've found each other on this big ol' innernets!!!

I heard about that bill. Apparently, the legislator that introduced it doesn't even expect it to pass, he just brought it up for awareness and to make a point. I'm with you, though -- I think the point it makes is that too many people are self-righteous proponents of governmental control of everything *they* think *other* people ought not be doing.

Robin said...

Banning fat people? You've got to be kidding me, what the need to do is offer lower insurance premiums for losing weight...lots of obese people have SO many health issues that would disappear after losing weight!
I'm honored you think I make your day, my list was so huge that I had to stop listing but please know you are right in there!!

Buck said...

Wow, that "ban fat folks" thing is just over the top, whether it's to "gain recognition" about obesity, or not. Makes ya wonder, don't it?

Thanks for the shout-out, Becky. I appreciate it! It's been over two years now, and I rarely miss a day reading you!

Opal said...

Thank you, Becky! I'm flattered. :-)

The ban on fat people pisses me off. I heard of it before and I was just appalled. It just seems that there's all kinds of legislation that's completely ludicrous.

Becky G said...

Sus, I agree with you. Even proposing a bill to bring awareness to a problem is counter productive. Overweight people know they are overweight. Nobody has to tell them.

Robin, the bill is actually supposed to ban restaurants from serving them. It would be a no win situation for the restaurants. If they serve overweight people, they are breaking the law. If they refuse, they are discriminating. I don't think lower insurance premiums is the answer either. Non-smokers have had lower insurance premiums for years and it hasn't changed most smokers' minds.

Buck, definitely over the top, and as I said, I believe it is counterproductive.

Opal, ludicrous is a perfect word for it. It all comes back to this idea that many members of our government think the average citizen is too stupid to take care of himself, therefore the government needs to control him. Gee, I think that has already been done. They called it the Soviet Union.

Unknown said...

Wow! Thank you for that! I'm surprised, but certainly appreciate it! :-)

And man, it is ridiculous. I mean, how is one to judge that, per chance? What is the gauge to determine "fatness"? See, according to the famous "charts", I'm anywhere from 60-90 lbs overweight for my height, age, etc. Sure, I'm a little fluffy, but I'm not as obese as some other people. I always feel overweight-- and I am, don't get me wrong-- but I remember when I went to Disneyworld a few years ago, seeing more of the general population, I felt a little skinny! Now, the same 60 lbs of overweightness would also measure differently on someone else, as well. After all, I'm a 5'10" woman-- 60 lbs on a 5'2" woman would be MUCH different, don't you think? I think the dumbass who thought of this law had good intentions, but like you said, they can overeat at home just as well as overeat outside of home. And sometimes it's not overeating, depending on the person too. Sometimes it's some sort of endocrinological problem that isn't completely cooperating with that person (that's partially my problem, but I admit, only part). Geez.

Carol said...

Aww...Thank you Becky you really did make my day today. :)

Perpetual Beginner said...

Thanks, Becky! I'm glad we met both ways too.

I heard about the Mississippi bill last week, and it just boggles the mind. What are the restaurants supposed to do, weigh-in all their patrons? Plus, as you so accurately say, fat people are more than aware of the fact. It's not like we're allowed to forget it for more than 30 consecutive seconds.