Friday, February 22, 2008

Thursday Karate

Thursday's class was really good. We started off doing our speed drills. Sensei said we don't do them enough in class, and probably on our own as well. After that, we did various basic combinations from our fighting stance, both punches and kicks. We did a few self defense drills, then took a water break.

I know some dojos don't allow water breaks, but down here in the South, even in winter, we kind of need them.

After the break, we went through all our empty hand kata--up through kusanku. Everyone knew seisan, so the entire class was out for it. But as we went higher in the kata, fewer and fewer students were left on the floor. That's the way we do it. You step off the floor when we get to a kata you don't know. By the time we got to kusanku, it was just me and Mrs. W left. Josh and Barrett weren't there.

That was fun. I always enjoy doing kata.

We finished the class by doing a blocking drill. We divided into groups of four (except my group--which only had three) and one person stands next to the wall in seiunchin stance. The other three throw techniques at him, and have to leave them out until he blocks them. The purpose is to develop karate vision--focusing on everything and nothing at the same time. It's a really good drill. I told sensei that I wished we would do it more often since I can't block worth a flip.

That was it for class, but afterwards, I stayed and did sunsu kata. It was the only one I hadn't done yet. By that time, I'd actually worked up a sweat. I don't sweat easily, so that's kind of how I gauge if I've gotten a good workout or not.

It was pretty good, but my hair wasn't curling. When I sweat so much my hair curls...now that's a good workout.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Sounds like a good blocking drill. You are right about developing karate vision.
Thanks -