Saturday, February 02, 2008

Stashalong Update

First off, here are the projects I finished in January:

One Row Scarf. This one used 300 yards of worsted weight yarn. The yarn is Trendsetter Tonalita. I really liked this yarn, though the end product is a bit scratchy. I'm going to soak it in some conditioner to see if that helps.

Branching Out Lace Scarf Approximately 200 yards of fingering weight. I actually used a ball of sock yarn for this. The ball was 400 yards, and I used about half of it.

Tidal Wave Socks. One ball of Tofutsies sock yarn. I love this yarn. It feels so silky and smooth. It must be the soy silk in it.


Cody's hat. A basic hat pattern that used about 100 yards of worsted weight yarn--or just under half a skein of Red Heart Super Saver. There is enough to maybe make a really narrow or a really short scarf to go with it. This was actually made from my free day purchase for these two months. I bought it and knit it before the month was up. Pretty cool, huh?

Total usage for January: 400 yards of worsted weight yarn, and two balls of sock yarn.

For the purposes of Stashalong, I'm going to count the yardage/skeins used toward the two month period in the month that I finished that particular project in. For example, if I start a blanket in February and finish it in March, and it takes 1000 yards of yarn, the total yardage will count toward the March/April time period. I'm not going to try to think, "Let's see, I did approximately 1/3 of the blanket in February, so that'll be about 300 yards in February and 700 in March..." No. That is too complicated.

Some people are setting their goals to knit up specific amounts of yarn or numbers of projects per month. Like, "I'm going to knit up 15 skeins of yarn in February." Or, "I'm going to complete these 7 projects in February." That is fine if that's what works for them, but it isn't for me. I knit for relaxation and enjoyment. Putting a deadline or a quota on my knitting would make it too stressful. I just knit what is there. My stipulation is that I must buy less yarn than I've used up during those two months.

It seems to be working so far. Now if only my mother doesn't clean out her closet again!

1 comment:

Opal said...

I'm glad you found a system that works for you. I think you did great in January!