Monday, February 11, 2008

Back To Class

I finally made it back to black belt class. This was the first time in two weeks I'd gone. I still have a chest full of congestion, and I can't even walk across the room without panting, but I went. I had this crazy idea that exercise would help break that congestion up. Well, we'll see.

It was just Barrett, Joshua, and me there. We started by doing kata to warm up. Then we went over Sanchin kata. Funny, after nearly 4 years, sensei has decided that I am doing sanchin all wrong. (I'm just doing it the way I was taught.) So now I have to relearn the whole kata. It's not that the moves themselves are vastly different. He just wants me doing them in a different way.

The last half of the class cool. We talked about bunkai sort of. For those of you not in the know, bunkai is the application. It is what each move of the kata is doing. Usually as kyu ranks, we just look at the bunkai of each kata. Now we are looking at moves from different kata countering the same technique. We also looked a bit at combining moves from different kata and using them in self defense situations.

It is going to be interesting.

2 comments:

frotoe said...

On one hand, I love learning the different subtleties that I've been doing wrong or could fine tune, but the whole kata? thats frustrating!

Becky G said...

It is frustrating. What makes it even more so is that sensei had always done it the way he had taught me--until now. Suddenly everyone is doing it differently, and I'm the one left out and doing it wrong.