Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar Eclipse, Again

Lucky for me, I was able to watch the eclipse from my front door. The clouds obscured most of it, but every so often there would be a break in them through which I could see the moon. I managed to get just a few pictures. Finally, shortly after 9 PM local, the clouds moved off and the sky was clear. I watched until the shadow just began to move off, but since 5 AM is still 5 AM, eclipse or not, I went on to bed.






This experience left me more frustrated than ever with my cheap little point and shoot camera. Oh, it's ok for snapping birthday parties and the like, but for the kind of pictures I want to take, it bites.

The one advantage to being flat busted broke is that I am getting a rather large tax refund this year. I know I should put it into savings, and that is where most of it will go. However, some of it will go towards buying myself a digital SLR camera. Now, I won't be getting my dream camera--14 megapixel, professional quality camera, but there are decent digital SLRs out there for less than a grand.

If the weather co-operates, that is what our weekend mission will be.

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

P. S. I am amazed at how many people still think the moon makes its own light.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These are still really good photos, even for a point and click! I wish I could get my point and click to do that! :-S Still a nice job.

Opal said...

I think those photos are lovely! Still, an SLR will be quite a treat. I've been thinking of saving up for one myself, but I really have no idea as to how to use one. :-}

Becky G said...

Thanks Dani.

Opal, in my opinion, even if you keep it in the fully automatic mode, a SLR is so worth it simply due to the better picture quality. The price on them has really come down these last few years, too. Today I saw a 7 megapixel SLR for $200. That is what I paid for my point and shoot some 4 or 5 years ago. It's not the one I got, but still.