Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is probably my least favorite of holidays.

I am single. I have been single all of my life, except for a brief stint at marriage which I don't even count because my ex and I never lived together. (Long story--military involved.) At this point, I see a long future ahead of me in which I remain single.

Most of the time, I am OK with that. I was looking around at my life just the other day and wondering where I would put a man if I found one.

But on this day...

This day with all of its emphasis on love, and couples, and togetherness...

On this day it hits me. Some years harder than others. This is a bad year.

I watch the flowers and balloons being delivered, and I know that there will be none for me. I watch the commercials for dinners and jewelry, and I know that there will be none for me. I watch people crowding in the holiday aisles at the stores buying gifts, and I know that there will be none for me.

On this day, I am alone. Forgotten.

Like the cotton on the edges of the fields. The cotton that doesn't get picked. Forlorn. Bedraggled. Forgotten.

Having endured the winter, it waits.

It waits...only to find itself mowed down to make way for a new crop.

And soon, no one will even remember that it once grew there.


Last Years Cotton

3 comments:

Opal said...

My sentiments exactly. Feh.

Bag Blog said...

May God grant you the desires of your heart and the patience to wait for them.

Buck said...

Ah, I can relate. But manufactured holidays, aka "Hallmark Holidays," don't bother me all that much... except for the nauseating, brain-dead, and insulting ads we're subjected to.

No, it's my would-be-anniversary that sends me into a tizzy of sorts. But I get over it, sooner or later.

Like you, Becky, I have absolutely NO idea where I'd put a woman (in my case). My life is almost completely "sized for one," from my living accommodations, to my car, to my motorcycle. There's just no room. And I've gotten quite used to it... liking it, even.

Still and even: I can relate. And I do. Hang in there.