Sunday, February 10, 2008

It's All Over

The Pro Bowl is over, and with it, the 2007 football season.

(AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)

Pro Bowls can sometimes get kind of boring, but this one was a good game. Both teams scored on their first possessions, but then the NFC gave up two turnovers and quickly fell behind 24-7. Get this, Demarcus Ware--Dallas Cowboys outside linebacker--got to return a kickoff. Unfortunately, he fumbled the ball and AFC recovered it and capitalized, going on to score a touchdown.

The NFC tried everything it could to get kickoffs and punts into the hands of Devin Hester, who had returned six of them for touchdowns during regular season. At one point, Jason Witten caught a kickoff in the end zone and tried to hand it to Hester. It was cute--as much as a football play can be cute. On another play, Hester did catch the ball, but when it was clear he wasn't going to go anywhere, he lateraled it to Witten, who was wide open. If Jason had just a bit more speed, he'd have gone all the way.

As the game went on, though, things began to get serious. After the first quarter was over, the NFC began slowly chipping away at the AFC lead.

(AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)

The AFC only scored 6 points in the final three quarters of the game--two field goals by Rob Bironas. The NFC answered with 5 touchdowns, winning the game with a final score of 42-30.

The late Sean Taylor was honored by his team mates. All three wore his number, and when introduced, they entered the stadium with their heads bowed. Taylor, if you don't know, passed away in November after being shot in his home during a botched robbery attempt.

(AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)
As for me, I finished my Clapotis prior to the game.

The yarn is Red Heart Super Saver in Fall colorway, and this wrap took nearly three skeins--at 244 yards per skein. The total yardage used was approximately 700. I found this to be a very soft yarn. I washed the Clapotis right after I took this picture, and it came out even softer than before.

I had enough yarn left to whip up this Calorimetry.


I knit this during the game, and was nearly finished by the time it was over. I still have to find a button and sew it on. I modified this pattern slightly after reading many of the comments on Ravelry about it. Most people said that despite getting gauge, theirs ended up being way too big for any human head. So instead of casting on 120 stitches, I only cast on 88. It fits my head, but snugly. I think from now on, I'll cast on 92 stitches.

There is just a smidgen of this yarn left over. I'm thinking about making some wrist warmers, or a headband out of it.

Finally, I cast on my second roundabout sock. Can you believe that it is the only project I have OTN at the moment? I can't. But it is. I'd better get on it, because Cody wants some socks for himself.

Speaking of, I got out all my sock yarn--every bit of it--and told him to pick which yarn he wanted socks out of. What color did he pick? Black. Solid black. The only solid black yarn I had.

"It's the only kind that doesn't look weird," he said.

8 comments:

Carol said...

I love your Calorimetry. I had to modified mine too.

Bag Blog said...

I may have missed something somewhere, but could you explain the calorimetry and the clapotis?

I did not watch the pro-bowl, but saw some highlights. I thought of you when watching them knowing you were watching the game.

Glad to know that you were not in on the bad storms.

Sus said...

I love the idea of matching Clapotis and Calorimetry! They look great in that colorway! I made my Calorimetry right after the pattern debuted, and I know I modified it, but I think only in width, not in the number of stitches I cast on. I'll have to look again. Whatever I did, it fits really well. Or, maybe, I just have a gigantic noggin. Which is entirely possible.

Opal said...

I could not stop laughing when I realized it was DeMarcus returning the kickoff! Of course he fumbled the ball! LOL

It was a great game and I wish I could have been there. Though I doubt I'd have appreciated the sunburn. :)

Your Clapotis and Calorimetry look fantastic!

Buck said...

I really like your choice of background for the Clapotis photo, Becky. Well done!

(I can't comment on the knitting aspects, ya know... a$$, elbow, not knowing which is which, and all.)

Becky G said...

Carol, thank you.

Lou, ummm, I'm not sure what you want me to explain. The clapotis was my latest knitting project, and I made the calorimetry from the leftover yarn.

Sus, thank you. And I won't even make any cracks about big heads!

Opal, I was laughing, too, and yelling at the TV: "DeMarcus! You are going the wrong way!" After T.O. dropped his second pass, I told him I was going to spank him. It must have worked, because he didn't drop another one.

Buck, thanks. That is my back yard. Matches, don't it?

Bag Blog said...

So clapotis and calormetry are types of patterns and not types of scarves or shawls?

Becky G said...

Lou, they are simply the names that the designers gave those particular patterns.