Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bridges

I've been wanting to write this post for a while now, but it has been too difficult, especially in the light of the recent tragedy in Minnesota. I have an unusual fear. Bridges. To this day, I still get nervous driving across bridges, and it's because of the dreams I used to have.

Bridges have always held a special place of terror in my childhood nightmares, mostly because of this guy:



The Rainbow Bridge, located between Bridge City and Port Arthur, TX.

While crossing this bridge was not daily travel for me, we still traversed it often enough that I was quite familiar with the experience. During my childhood, the bridge to the left in the picture, the Veterans Memorial Bridge, had not been built. There was only the two lane Rainbow Bridge. The bridge was so tall that as you approached, it looked as if you would be driving straight up. When traffic--especially the 18-wheelers--passed you going the other direction, it the entire bridge seemed to be shaking. I was in 11th grade when a schoolmate of mine was killed on this bridge on the way home from a football game. I still vividly recall my own white knuckled experience the first time I drove across it.

The Rainbow Bridge was a frequent character in my nightmares. Nightmares usually consisted of the bridge collapsing just as we reached the top, though I distinctly remember one dream in which the lane we were in fell off of the bridge. The entire lane just fell off. The car fell down, down, down, 175 feet into the river below, while my dad remained sitting nonchalantly at the wheel, continuing to drive as if nothing had happened. Just before the car hit the water, I would think with horror, "But I can't swim."

There was another bridge which was the culprit of many, many a childhood nightmare as well. This was the 18 mile long elevated section of I-10 over the Atchafalaya River basin. We crossed this bridge a couple of times each year when we drove to Alabama to visit my aunt and uncle. The nightmare usually started out with my family driving across the bridge as normal. The bridge is two lanes going each way, with rather a large space between them. Steel and concrete. In the dream we would be driving along and suddenly the bridge would change to a one lane wooden bridge, but still sturdy. As my dad drove, the bridge would become narrower and more rickety the farther we went. It changed from a solid bridge to two 2 x 6 wood planks placed on wooden girders. My dad wouldn't seem to notice, and would keep driving. The wood planks and the girders became more and more rotten, but still my dad didn't seem to notice and kept driving as if nothing were wrong. Finally, in a moment of sheer terror, the bridge ended and Dad would drive off the end, full speed, as if he never noticed, and we would plunge down, down, 40 feet into the alligator infested waters below.


Is it any wonder I was a chronic insomniac by the time I was 10?
.

7 comments:

Robin said...

Okay...just looking at the picture of that bridge scares the pajeezas out of me! The scariest one I've ever crossed (in a really bad storm) goes over the Potomac river from VA to Maryland...you just topped it for me!

frotoe said...

I don't like bridges either. We had one that sounds very similar to the Rainbow Bridge. very scary to cross. It is the bridge on the right. the one on the left is the new one. http://riroads.com/images/JamestownBridge.jpg

I remember my first attempt to drive over it I stopped short right before the bridge and made someone else drive. It would sway and shake and the driving surface was this metal stuff that you could see thru and did not feel secure at all.
Yuk.

Anonymous said...

Dang, I don't think I've ever seen a man-made bridge that steep...on both sides too! I'd be scared to cross too...

I wonder what engineering "genius" came up with that one?

Buck said...

I get a lil bit queasy driving across bridges, too. And being a pedestrian on 'em, as well. There's this bridge near Taos over the Rio Grande canyon that has spectacular views of the canyon many hundreds of feet below...IF you wanna walk out on it. I've done it, but was none too comfortable as the bridge bounced up and down a couple of inches when the semis roared by at 60+ mph (it's designed to flex, as most bridges are). It's not what I would call a "fun feeling."

Bag Blog said...

I remember being scared of the bridge from Port Isabel to South Padre.

When we moved to OK, I had similar dreams to yours. I figured it was anxiety on not knowing what the future held and moving to an area where we knew no one - still, they were scary dreams.

Buck said...

Lou said: I remember being scared of the bridge from Port Isabel to South Padre.

I "white-knuckled" it all the way across that bridge in a 40+ mph wind (at least)... on my old(er) bike back in 2000. That was the return trip from South Padre...it was calm when I went on to the island in the morning, but NOT calm on the way back. And "white-knuckled" is an understatement of HUGE proportions. One of the scariest times on a bike for me, ever.

Anonymous said...

I had to take a break from reading this in the middle - I'm scared silly of bridges too. *HUG*

The Worst bridge experience was driving across a temporary Lake Pontchartrain bridge with my three kids in the car with me. I almost cried with relief when we reached solid ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-10_Twin_Span_Bridge

Still makes me sick to think of it.