Thursday, November 01, 2007

About the Picture

I found that picture this morning, and didn't have time to post the story behind it before leaving for work I knew my pal Patch would want to see it, so I posted the pic anyway. I know at least one of you is wondering about it, so here's the story.

Patti is one of my oldest friends. Not old as in age wise, but old as in I've known her the longest. We've been friends since we were 18 and met our freshman year at Hardin Simmons University. In the comments to her Halloween post, Patti mentioned having trick or treaters come to her dorm room one year. I seemed to remember being one of them, but she said it wasn't me. However, she did mention a certain Panda cake.

We'd just gotten back to school after the Christmas break. It was our sophomore year. Patti's birthday is in January (no, I won't tell you what year!) and she had made the cute little panda cake as a birthday cake. Patti had invited the three of us in the picture to share the cake with her.

After oohing and ahhing about how cute the cake was, we prepared to cut it. Lita, the girl on the right, grabbed up the knife and pretended to stab the cake repeatedly. Jennifer, the one in the middle, said, "awww, the poor panda," and Patti and I laughed. Patti said, "We need to get a picture of this." So we posed.

That is me on the left, pretending to bite the panda's ear off, Jennifer in the middle crying, and Lita with the knife.

After taking the picture, we prepared to cut the cake, only to look at it dumbfoundedly and say, "How do you cut a cake like this one?" Nevertheless, we bravely soldiered on, and managed to cut the cake and eat it. It was delicious.

Lita and I lost track of each other soon after graduation. Jennifer and I wrote back and forth for a few years, but eventually stopped. I've lost track of her, now, as well.

Patti and I still keep in contact. Sometimes sporadically, but we always catch up with each other eventually. I'm glad she has started a blog, and hope she keeps it up. It'll be great to have her consistently in my life again--even if it is only online.

More Patti stories to come...*evil snicker*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

More evil stories goes both ways don't forget. ;-)

It was I who made the cake. My sister and mom had taken a cake decorating course a few years prior, and the pan was a leftover.

I still giggle about the time that Becky and Jen were both telling us about a nice-looking member of the male species each had seen on campus. Becky reported on his legs (butt), and Jen his eyes. You guessed it: turns out they were describing the same guy.

Becky G said...

Becky reported on his legs (butt), and Jen his eyes. You guessed it: turns out they were describing the same guy.

I guess that showed where our prioritites were! Do you happen to remember who that was? Cause I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

I'd also forgotten that it was you who made the cake. I thought someone had given it to you. Sorry...

I didn't say evil Patti stories...I was thinking mostly of the "Is it windy out here or is it just me?" story.

Anonymous said...

I know, you're a good girl. No harm done.

LOL! "It's just you."

Buck said...

Thanks for "the rest of the story." Appreciated!