Saturday, November 03, 2007

I'm Giving Up Football, Again, Again


I didn't get to watch the Texas game. It's rare that stations here show them, but I do follow them on the computer. This is one I wish I could have seen. Texas was losing to Oklahoma state 35-14 at the start of the 4th quarter. Three touchdowns later, the score was tied. As time ran out, Ryan Bailey kicked a 40 yard field goal that gave Texas the win.


The LSU/Alabama game was even better. Alabama scored first on a field goal, but LSU answered with 17 points. It looked like LSU would run away with the game, but three turnovers later, Alabama came back and scored 24 unanswered points. Then LSU scored, then Alabama scored again. Finally, LSU scored the winning touchdown with 90 seconds left in the game. What was frustrating about this game was the number of penalties called against LSU. Sixteen, compared to Alabama's three. You know when the penalty calling is that one sided, it makes you wonder. Add to that Matt Flynn's three interceptions, all of which led to scores for Alabama, and LSU's fourth quarter comeback, and you have a heart attack in the making. I fully understand why some sports writers call them the Cardiac Tigers.

Here's another shocker. Number 2 Boston College lost to Florida State, which means LSU may very well move up into the #2 spot in the BCS rankings. Navy beat Notre Dame--in triple overtime--for the first time since Roger was the quarterback. Triple overtime!

My old heart just can't take this. I'm giving up football.

At least until tomorrow.
.

4 comments:

Robin said...

You know as well as I do...you can't give up football! My "Cardiac Cavs" pulled out their 5th close one 16-17!z

Buck said...

You know when the penalty calling is that one sided, it makes you wonder.

It also makes ya wonder when so many initial calls on the field are reversed following the video replay/review. But as for the LSU penalties, I think nearly all of them were valid. At least the ones I saw...

One of these days LSU ain't gonna pull off that patented fourth quarter come-back. Oh wait...that already happened! ;-)

Becky G said...

Robin, you are so right! I couldn't give it up any more than I could give up breathing!

Buck, you make an excellent point about the reversals. I wonder at that, too.

Yeah, LSU didn't pull it off against Kentucky. Still it's better to be 8-1 than 1-8. :D

Bag Blog said...

I watched part of both of these games. Of course, I was pulling for OSU. They played a heck of a game against UT. Although UT came back and won in the last minute, they should hang their heads in shame that such an underdog team would dominate for so long. My cowpoke son watched with me. His comment on his alma mater, OSU: Once again they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.