Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Stashalong

The new Stashalong starts Jan 1st, and I've been thinking about my choices. I really want to go with Choice #3, which is to choose how many WIPs* or UFOs** you want to get off the needles in the coming year. I thought this would be a good one for me since I've had such bad startitis lately. However, when I got all my WIPs out and looked at them, I discovered that I didn't really have all that many.


Then I decided that I might go with Choice #2, which is the one in which I am to count all my yarn and decide how much I want to reduce my stash by. I started trying to count all my skeins and partial skeins, and just got overwhelmed at all that yarn.


That leaves me with Choice #1, which is simply not to buy yarn for a predetermined length of time. It can be as short as one month, or as long as the whole year. This would not be all that difficult for me, since I've been on a self imposed yarn diet for a couple of years now. However, my difficulty is not in refraining from buying yarn, it's doing something with all the yarn I have already.


After much consideration, I have decided to go with a combination of #1 and #3. These are the WIPs I want to get completed:



1. Prayer Shawl:


2. Irish Hiking Scarf:


3. Wavy Lace Shawl:


4. Red Heart Strata Scarf:


5. Branching Out Lace Scarf:


6. Texas Longhorn Scarf:


7. First Time Socks:

8. Monthly dishcloths--two per month


9. Socks knitted from my Christmas yarn (two pair)


10. One screaming stash project


I will not buy any new yarn until these projects are completed. Once they are done, I will switch to #1, and pledge not to buy yarn on a month by month basis. The only exception will be if I need a specific color of yarn for a dishcloth KAL . This shouldn't happen since I am pretty much set for the entire year with my dishcloth cotton. I bought a couple of cones on clearance a while back, plus I recently bought a cone of solid ecru for the patterns that require any solid color.


Those are my Stashalong goals for 2007. Wish me luck. I get three strikes...shouldn't be a problem.


*WIP= Work In Progress

**UFO= UnFinished Object
*
*

2 comments:

Dale said...

Not that I know squat about knitting but I like the lace looking ones. That is quite a talent you've got there Becky. I do good to be able to tie my shoes in the morning and have them stay tied throughout the day. Many many moons ago my sister showed me how to knit with two needles. She let me go for a while and then I think she had to undo half of what I did without me looking. My wife does needle-point. I am an adult with ADD and I do good to be able to sit and work a little sudoku from time to time. Oh well, you with your knitting and Lou with her paintings and I get to set back and enjoy, Thanks!

Becky G said...

Why thank you Dale. Perhaps one day I'll tell the story of how I learned to knit. I've done other crafty things as well--sewing, crochetting, tatting, cross-stitch, needlepoint--but knitting is the one I enjoy the most.

I tried sudoku once, and just don't have the patience for things like that.