Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Music

Buck and Lou both have been posting about music recently. I've really avoided the conversation, since I lean more towards liking individual songs rather than any one particular style. I used to be a die hard Country music fan, but country has changed over the last few years that I don't much like it any more. Every so often, there is a good song that comes out--usually put out by one of the older artists--such as George Strait or Alan Jackson. Most of what they put out these days is rubbish.

I do have rather eclectic taste in music. I like songs from pretty much all types except rap/hip hop. Whether those count as music is a debatable point anyway. I'm not much into opera, either, though my dad loved it. But I do like classical music.

Cody has been coming home all this week going on and on about the awesome song they are learning in band now. He just can't stop talking about it. "It's a really cool song, Mom. You need to hear it." Finally, after much searching on the internet, I found it:

In The Valley of The Ancients *

He's right. It's an awesome song. I keep playing it over and over, and can't wait to hear Cody's band playing it.

On a totally different track, this is one of my all time favorite songs. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Now for an abrupt change of subject...I ran into sensei at the post office today. I told him that I was planning on coming back next month, and he said he was planning on working with us--meaning James and me--more. He said things have kind of slowed down at the dojo, and he'll have more time for us. I said that was good because I wanted to participate, and I really missed being there. Tomorrow is the dojo party, and we are planning on going to that.

Here are today's KAL rows:



I'm kind of surprised reading e-mails from the KAL group that so many people are having a hard time with this one. Someone even wrote a message accusing those of us who haven't had any trouble with it as "hating". The exact e-mail said:

Don't be hatin, those of you who got it right the first time. Some of us are just pattern challenged.

I was bumfuzzled when I read that because no one on that group has been anything other than supportive and encouraging. People have gone to great lengths to help the newer knitters figure out the pattern.

According to my Funk & Wagnalls Desk Standard Dictionary Copyright 1926, the verb to hate is defined as To regard with extreme aversion; detest; feel or cherish hatred. Apparently, these days it means to attempt to help someone with less experience than yourself try to figure something out or stating that you weren't having any problem with the pattern. I've also seen it mean to disagree, as in the following fictitious example:

"McDonald's has the best hamburgers."

"I like Burger King hamburgers."

"HATER!!!!!"

Apparently hate has become one of those words that means whatever the user wants it to mean, kind of like truth. As for me, I have to agree with Mayamoto Musashi, who said<

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is and you must bend to its power or live a lie.

NOTE* Sometimes the link works, sometimes it doesn't. If you have trouble, just keep trying. It'll eventually link to the right page. Also, this is not Cody's band playing in that clip. They will probably perform it for the spring concert, and you can bet I'll post it when they do.

*

*

3 comments:

Buck said...

The Scots song made me laugh! I'm glad the lyrics were printed at the link...

Bag Blog said...

I agree with you about Country music. Every now and then a good song comes out, but most of what is put out is rubbish.

A funny thing: my mother would never let us call each other "liar" or say " I hate..." those were just powerful, ugly words.

Becky G said...

Same here, Lou. My mother wouldn't let us say them, and I won't let my son say them. Certainly not in such a casual manner. As I mentioned in the next post, I think that woman needs to get in touch with what her kids are really saying and watching.

Buck, glad I could make you laugh. It gets me every time, too.