Thursday, December 28, 2006

Musings

As most of you know, former President Gerald Ford passed on a couple of days ago. I mentioned this to Cody as we were going into town because I had noticed that the flags were at half staff. We discussed briefly that when some one important dies, the flags are flown at half staff as a sign of mourning and respect. He then said, "And when you're in trouble, you fly it upside down."

This reminded me of a story I read as a child. It's about a young girl and her mother who live alone on an island, but I forget where. They don't have a telephone or radio or any form of communication other than the mail plane. Why they are living there is not explained in the story--or at least I don't remember the reason.

One day the mother hurts herself. She doesn't know what to do, as the mail plane is not due to land on their island for several more days, though he flies over daily. They had to try to think of some way to signal the pilot of the plane. The girl knew what to do, and went outside for a few minutes. She returned to the house, and together they waited for the mail plane.

A he flew over right on schedule, then they heard him circle, and come back and land. They were saved. But what did the girl to do attract this male pilot's attention? She hung the shirts on the wash line upside down. Now, tell me, what man would have noticed that? Sheesh, most women wouldn't have noticed it.

While at Wal-mart, I spent some of my Christmas money and bought the newest version of Pride and Prejudice on DVD. Sigh...Darcy...Why don't they make men like that any more?

Cindy is coming for a visit tomorrow. Yippee. I'd better get to bed so I can get up early and clean house!
*
*

No comments: