Sunday, December 03, 2006

Knitting and Football

It has been a really quiet Sunday around here. Cody still wasn't feeling quite up to snuff, so we were heatherns this morning and didn't go to church. It was pretty cold, and I didn't want him out in it. By mid-afternoon, he was feeling much better, so I let him go outside for about 30 minutes. I made sure he bundled up well, since the highs today were only in the 40s. He is now back up to snuff, and is driving me crazy slamming things around in the living room looking for the remote. He goes back to school tomorrow, but unfortunately I have to go back to work also. My 17 days off went by waaaayyy too fast. Boy I really envy those women lucky enough to be stay at home moms.


So I spent the day watching football and knitting. I finally got another Lonesome Skein project done. This one will most likely be part of J's Christmas present. I used a different pattern on this one. I hope it fits. He's got kind of a tall head. Well, he can always roll the cuff down if he needs to.






The Lonesome Skein KAL was only supposed to be three months long, and we're two months into it. So far, I've only got 7 hats and one scarf done. And I did today's rows of the dishcloth KAL.


I still don't have a clue as to what the pattern will be. It could be a bell, or it could be a candle holder, or something totally different.

I joined another KAL yesterday:


I've wanted to learn to knit socks, and have actually tried a time or two, but didn't get very far. I thought joining this KAL would give me some inspiration. So I started the pattern, but just couldn't get into it. I knit about 2 inches of the sock and put it back in the drawer. Maybe I'll try again later, but for now, knitting socks just isn't floating my boat.

Now, so my male readers don't get totally bored out of their skulls, a bit of football news. First off, the Florida Gators are playing Ohio State for the National Championship. I was kind of pulling for Michigan, but that's not the way the ball bounced.

In professional football, both Manning boys lost today. This is significant, because Cody is a Colts (Peyton) fan, and Dallas was playing the Giants (Eli). The games were eerily similar in some ways.

Dallas played the Giants, and the game was close from beginning to end. The Giants would score, then Dallas would match them score for score. Finally the game was tied 20-20 with 6 seconds left on the clock and Dallas had possession. Their new kicker, a guy named Gramatica kicked a 46 yard field goal to win the game.

In the Colts game, Indianapolis jumped out to a 17-0 lead in the first quarter, then didn't score again the rest of the game. Vince Young and the Titans then scored 17 unanswered points to tie the game. Finally, the Titans had the ball with 7 seconds left on the clock. Rob Bironas kicked a 60 (yes I said SIXTY) yard field goal to put the Titans up 20-17. That ended up being the final score, and Cody about had a coniption.

Rob Bironas Kicks a 60 Yard Field Goal

There was a lot of talk during the Giants game about Tiki Barber, and how he's rushed for over 1000 yards the last 5 seasons, and how he's closing in on 10,000. That's still pretty impressive, but now that they play 16 games, a player only has to average 62.5 yards per game to get a 1000 yard season. Somehow, it meant more when they had only 10 or 12 games to get those thousand yards.

But maybe it's just me...

*

*

5 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

Socks are loads of fun, but you have to find the method that works for you. I tried them on double-points and couldn't hack it. I tried the two circulars method, liked it better, finished a sock, but never really took to it. Then I tried magic loop (one really long circular), and now I knit socks all the time - at least six pairs this last year. I'm actually running out of sock yarn!

Contrariwise, my friend Leslie can't stand magic loop, and only enjoys knitting socks on wooden double-points. It's a very individual thing.

I hope Cody gets to feeling better soon. We had a Christmas two years back punctuated by Aaron throwing up every twenty minutes for all of Christmas morning. The poor kid barely registered what day it was.

Travel news! We are intending to drive down and visit my parents in Brandon shortly after Christmas (Approx. the 28th through New Years). Any chance of a get together sometime, somewhere?

Dale said...

Ah yes Romo rolls!!! It was quite a nail-biter, but very fun to watch. I wish Bill would have gone to Romo sooner. There were a lot of close ones yesterday.
KC-Cleveland and as you mentioned the TN-Indy game as well. I love this time of year. I only wish my Hogs would have played better Saturday!

Buck said...

I don't normally watch football on Sundays, but I did see that Bironas field goal...in real time, not on SportsCenter. What a finish!

I'm glad Cody's feeling better!

Bag Blog said...

It seems like I have watched a lot of football lately. That may be the reason I have read so many books and actually worked on my crocheting - both I do while the games are going on.

Becky G said...

Cindy, I didn't frog the socks, and will try again later. I think having so much I wanted to finish for Christmas has made me reluctant to get into anything new right now. My thing seems to be dishcloths and scarves. I really enjoy knitting both of those. I also do a lot of hats, but don't like them as much as scarves. I should be available during the time you are down here. Send me an e-mail as soon as you get the details and I'll see what we can work out.

Dale, I agree about Romo. I wonder what Bill was waiting on. He rocks. I saw the hogs play as well. I thought they were going to make a game of it until that muffed punt return.

Buck, a 60 yard field goal is always impressive. I'm glad I got to see it AND the 50(ish) yarder in the next game as well.

Patti, thank you. It doesn't seem like a year, it's gone by so fast.

Lou, I do most of my knitting while watching football. It seems a game holds my interest even more than a movie does. I can't read and watch TV any more, though. I used to could, but I guess my brain has gotten too tired.