Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Slider





I posted this picture on Cornsnakes.com a couple of days ago, after someone on that forum introduced his new ball python who was also named Slider. Once I'd posted it, I got a good look at how skinny he was when I first adopted him. I was shocked. That picture was taken two days after he was given to me. I know to those not familiar with boid bodies, he looks pretty fat. But take a look at his spine. See how much it sticks out? That is the sign of an underweight python.
This is what he looks like now.




He has put on considerable length and girth in the 10 months that I've had him, and his backbone no longer juts out. Now, the original deal is that the guy who owned him before me moved, and was unable to keep Slider. He actually moved in with his sister, and she wouldn't allow the snake into the house. I'm only supposed to be keeping him until the guy can find another place to live. I told him, however, not to let me keep him long enough to get attached, then ask for him back. He said he wouldn't do that. If I had him long enough to get attached, he'd just start all over with a new snake.

I've already decided he's not getting Slider back.

On the knitting front, I used some of the yarn Patti sent me to make this little snowman cloth.

I"m not really that pleased with the way it turned out. The face looks all funky and the stitches seem really loose. Maybe it was just because it is white yarn and the stitch definition really stands out. Anyway, I threw it in the dryer hoping it would tighten up a bit. If it doesn't, it'll end up in my bathroom being used instead of in the gift pile.

I broke down yesterday and bought a cone of cotton yarn in ecru. My Walmart only carries white and ecru in solids. The rest is ombre or variegated. That means I have to order all other solid colors online. When I do that, I usually have a specific pattern in mind for that color. Well, I had printed out the list of all the colors needed for the Monthly Dishcloth Knitalongs for the coming year, bagged and labeled the appropriate color for each month. Once I'd done that, however, I realized I had very few solid skeins left. So I bought the cone of solid ecru. I can use that for the months that require any solid color, or a light colored solid. That freed up a lot of my single skeins, plus I'm set for the KAL for the year. I really don't like ordering yarn online, but with Wal-mart having a very limited selection--especially of non-acrylic fibers--what choice do I have.

I've been getting up in the mornings and running a kata or two here lately. It's good to be working out again. Of course, Linde has been wonderful in leading Wednesday Night Workouts on Yahoo Messenger these last few weeks. I'm going to try to start going back to class after the New Year. Maybe I can talk sensei into having a black belt class after regular classes. It doesn't even have to be a full hour. On school nights, a full hour would be too much anyway. But maybe if I can impress upon him that he is running a karate dojo and not a teeny bopper dating club...

Who knows? All I can do is try.

*

*

3 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Becky,I want to send you a Christmas card. Send your snail-mail address to my email which is now listed on my profile

Buck said...

One of the (many) things I like about hangin out here is the stuff I learn. I'm completely ignorant about snakes and knitting, but find the subjects interesting. Well, snakes moreso than the knitting, but Hey!...I'm male.

Becky G said...

Lou, done, and thank you.

Buck, glad you are enjoying yourself! As for the "I'm male" comment, more and more women are keeping snakes. I think on my cornsnakes forum, there are as many females with snakes as there are males. What is funny is how many of the women complain that their husbands/boyfriends are the ones scared of snakes!