Thursday, December 21, 2006

Kumite


On Wednesday nights, Linde and I have been getting on Yahoo IM and going over Master Shimabuku's Kumite. Well, she has been teaching it to me since we don't learn it in our dojo. However, in doing so, I've discovered just how hard it can be trying to learn without seeing the technique performed. I am still not sure if I am doing it right, since I can't see what she is doing, and she can't see what I'm doing. I think, once I get each section down, I'll get someone to film me and put it on YouTube so she can see what I'm doing and make corrections. Then I'll teach it to sensei. That's one thing about my sensei. He's always been open to new ideas, or to techniques we learn at seminars and stuff. Some sensei's aren't like that. Their students, especially kyu ranks, are not allowed to attend seminars, or visit other dojos, or learn from someone of a different lineage. I even knew a lady whose sensei made her leave an e-mail group simply because it was one he didn't belong to. Apparently, she was only allowed to be a part of his group. That's just too controlling, and borders on cultic.

I once went to an Advincula seminar, in which Sensei Advincula made the remark that students come to his seminars, learn the "right" way to do things, then go back to their dojo and right back to doing it the way they had been taught before. I didn't say anything at the time out of respect for Sensei Advincula, but I was thinking, Well yeah. We have to do things the way those who will be testing us want them done.

I have the highest respect for Sensei Advincula, but I am of the Don Nagle/Ken Pittaway/Bill Pogue lineage. I am tested by a board which is certified through Bill Pogue's association. From here on out, I will be board tested. Once you reach 1st kyu, your sensei cannot test you any more. Shodan and above requires being tested in front of the board. I have to do things the way that lineage teaches them.


I did go to the dojo party tonight, and it was rather boring. I was the only adult there. James and Cody were there, but the rest were all little kids. The best part of the party was after everyone had left and sensei and I just sat and chatted for a while. He talked again about starting a black belt class, and I told him I'd be there for sure. If I go, I'm sure I can get James to go, too. I'm not sure about Mr. Tedder. His Crohn's disease has been acting up and he spent much of the last month in the hospital. I'm sure when he gets to feeling better, he might come as well. The worst part? Those people didn't leave me any leftover ro-tel, again!


I had a rather busy day today, including two trips to Wal-mart. I usually go grocery shopping on Friday, but decided to go today since Cody's art class is having a party tomorrow. He wanted to take chocolate chip cookies, only I didn't have any chocolate chips. So I decided to go shopping a day early and get some for him. Ok, so I do my shopping, get home, get all my groceries put away and get ready to start the cookies. Guess what I didn't have? Right. The chocolate chips. After another flying trip in to town, the chocolate chip cookies were made with no further incident.


Because I was so busy, I didn't knit anything but the rest of the December mid month KAL:



The lady who posted about hating sent an explanation to the list. She said it was "hatin", not "hating" as if dropping the g and pronouncing it in vernacular somehow made it ok. She said it was something her kids got from a movie and they say it all the time, so it doesn't mean anything. Personally, I think that if that's the way she feels, she needs to pay more attention to what her kids are watching and saying. But that's just me...


Lou is an artist. She has recently begun doing a painting of the week. About a month ago, she painted this handsome fellow. I was rather taken with this painting. A bit later, she asked me to send her my address because she wanted to send me a Christmas Card. Darned if she didn't send me the cowboy:
He now occupies a place of honor on my computer desk--right next to the ceramic nativity my Aunt and I made some 25 years ago--instead of being piled with the other Christmas cards to be discarded once the holiday season is over. Thank you Lou. He looks even better in person.

I was emptying my bulk mail folder this afternoon. Every so often I glance through the titles and senders before deleting them all, just to make sure a legitimate e-mail hasn't been put in that folder by mistake. It's happened before. I just had to laugh at some of the subject lines:



  • Are cankerworm do exuberant

  • With resolution to protactinum

  • Are cantilever a public

  • Her be vapid

Do they honestly think that anyone would regard those as legitimate e-mails? As phrases, they don't even make sense. One was even dated Friday Dec 20, 2002. I mean, come on--how stupid do they think we are?

I guess a few Nyquil free nights have woken my brain up considerable, because I've yammered on quite a bit this evening. Sorry about that...


Today's Pic: Biscuits with home made Alaskan Fireweed Jelly sent to me by my sister who lives in Fairbanks.
*
*



3 comments:

Buck said...

You get a higher class of spam than I do, Becky. The subject lines in half the spam I get aren't printable. Fireweed Jelly? Will you pass a drug test after eating that? :-)

Becky G said...

Buck, I get those kind, too, but this is a G rated blog. :)

Hmmm, I don't know about that drug test. Kind of reminds me of a story my cousin told me. His hobby is beekeeping, and once someone asked him if bees would make honey from a marijuana plant. He replied that if it had a flower, bees would make honey from it. But don't get excited--you won't get high from it.

Bag Blog said...

You are welcome for the cowboy. Thanks for posting him.

Fireweed jelly - sounds interesting!