Thursday, December 07, 2006

Oh Boy!

Look what came in the mail today:


Not one, but two packages of yarn. The loose yarn is all from my friend Patti, and the package at the bottom left is some cotton I ordered from Mary Maxim. Needless to say, I immediately cast on another dishcloth. I'm going to wait until it's finished to post a picture of it, though.

You know, I sometimes wonder what happened to common sense. Tuesday evening, half of the town was lined up along the parade route.


It looked like this on both sides of the street. Santa was there, along with a turkey and they were giving out candy canes. Veterans were walking up and down giving all the kids miniature flags. Vendors were selling cotton candy, boiled peanuts, and candied apples. The funeral home was handing out free hot chocolate. People were there with their blankets, coats, and cameras singing carols and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

Why then would anyone ask, "Does the parade come down this street?"

Ummm, no, we just all like to sit out on the side of the road in the cold...

An interesting thing happened at the parade while I was trying to get a video of the band playing. Do you see the fire truck in the following video?



As I was standing there taping the band, this guy in the cab of the firetruck began frantically waving. I didn't know the guy, so I figured he must be waving at someone in the crowd. He kept waving, and it looked like he was looking at me, so I waved back. I figured, "it's a parade--you can wave at anybody and it's ok." I guess he was waving at me because as soon as I waved back, he stopped waving and sat back down. I turned to the people behind me and said, "I don't know who in the heck that was." They didn't know him either.

I got to work the next morning, and said to one of my co-workers, "the weirdest thing happened at the parade last night." And I told her what had happened. She laughed, and said, "Yeah, that was Jamie" (her son). He had worked a summer at the plant several years ago when he was still in high school. He had recognized me and remembered me. I hadn't recognized him, but then he'd changed a lot more in the last few years than I had, including growing a beard. So I have an excuse.

If you can stand one more video of the band...

No comments: